Windows 10: File History states that backup drive is Full

Discus and support File History states that backup drive is Full in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been using File History for some time now. It is set to keep files, until space is required. In the past, it has deleted old file versions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by B. Parker, Feb 3, 2019.

1. B. Parker Win User

File History states that backup drive is Full

I have been using File History for some time now.

It is set to keep files, until space is required.

In the past, it has deleted old file versions and backed up the new one.

After the latest update to Windows, it now only produces an error that the destination drive is full and another drive is required.

Any thoughts?

:)

B. Parker, Feb 3, 2019

2. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    File History not working with internal backup drives.

Hi PeteComp,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'll need a few more details to analyze your concern & provide an accurate solution:

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • How much space is left out on the back up drive?

This issue might occur if some system files are not working properly or
    if it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to re add your File History drive and check.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1:
    1. Press Windows
      and R
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Services.msc and hit enter.
    3. Search for Software Protection, Volume Shadow Copy and Windows BackupDouble click on the service and select
      Automatic under start up type.

4. Click on Start, Apply and Ok.

5. Restart the computer and check if is working now.

Method 2:

1. Go to Control Panel
      > Click on System and Security>
      Click on File History > Turn off.
    2. Click on Settings >Go to Update & Security > select Backup on the left pane.
    3. On the right pane, select
      more options
      > Click on Stop using this drive.
    4. Delete the File History folder in your drive.

Note: Deleting File history back up will remove all the versions of the Files. Make sure you take the back up on the external drive, before deleting it.

5. Start using File History again.
    Try to setup the interval time, make some changes on the file and check if File history back up is working at the mentioned time.

Method 3: Try with External drive

You can connect the external drive and follow the procedure to setup the drive again. Here is the information about
    Backup and restore your files

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Feb 3, 2019
  4. File History states that backup drive is Full

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

File History states that backup drive is Full

1. File History states that backup drive is Full - Similar Threads - File History states

2. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  3. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  4. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?: I am not asking about backing up TO an external drive. submitted by /u/nintendo1889 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mrq3tf/can_file_history_backup_the_files_that_are_on_a/
  6. Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full.: I have a File History backup on a drive that is nearing full. The full backup would be 520-ish Gb. and so the backup has stalled when there is less than 520 GB left on the drive even though only a few files will have been amended or added in the meantime. 1 Is the right?...
  7. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  8. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  9. File History not working with internal backup drives.

File History not working with internal backup drives.: I have been reading the MANY posts about File History not working. I have 4 different machines and have been trying to get it to work on each of them with no luck, including V 1809. I have started and set to Auto (Delayed Start) all of the services for Software Protection,...
  10. File History drive full??!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File History drive full??!!: Hello, hope somebody clever can help. I've connected to a 2TB external drive to backup my laptop and I'm getting a message saying that the file history drive is full, but I've used up less than 1TB and the initial backup hasn't finished. What can I do? Thanks 40702