Windows 10: File History still uses the old computer name after I changed it

Discus and support File History still uses the old computer name after I changed it in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I was using File History, but I needed to change the computer name (for reasons unrelated to File History). I turned File History off and deleted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by perkinw, Jul 31, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

File History still uses the old computer name after I changed it

I was using File History, but I needed to change the computer name (for reasons unrelated to File History).

I turned File History off and deleted the backup directory that it had created (in a shared folder on a NAS).

I changed the computer name and restarted the computer.

I turned File History back on and clicked "Back up now."

But File History still creates a backup directory with the old computer name.

What's going on?

:)

perkinw, Jul 31, 2019

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Jul 31, 2019
  3. How to use File History when your computer name changes

So my wife had her laptop fail, but had used file history to save off her work data to a external drive. So once we got the new laptop going, we fired up file history to restore her old files. Instead of finding the existing file history, it created
    a new one under the new system's name. How do we make it find the old file history? Is renaming the old file history a solution?

JohnWingard, Jul 31, 2019
  4. File History still uses the old computer name after I changed it

File History won't change the names of my folders

I occasionally need to change the names of some of my folders. However, File History won't recognize these changes and continues to use the old names. How do I fix this?

TimBrown957, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

File History still uses the old computer name after I changed it

1. File History still uses the old computer name after I changed it - Similar Threads - File History still

2. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  3. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  4. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name: I changed my computer's name. I did not change the serial number. I deleted the old name. now I want to add the new name. microsoft website keeps saying id doesn't recognize the serial number. I'ts the same serial number the comuter had with its old name. Now I have no...
  6. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name: I changed my computer's name. I did not change the serial number. I deleted the old name. now I want to add the new name. microsoft website keeps saying id doesn't recognize the serial number. I'ts the same serial number the comuter had with its old name. Now I have no...
  7. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. File History not backing up files with changed names

File History not backing up files with changed names: Hi I have change the file names on thousands of my photos to be consistent in the naming of the photos. Because they file name have been changed but on the file itself it does not backup using File History. How do I fix this. Using Windows 10 Home Version 20H2...
  9. File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History: My Surface suffered a failure and was exchanged for a new one under warranty. I have the File History on an external drive. I want to restore that File History to my new computer. How can I do this? I have read a number of articles and MS Support have sent me links, but...
  10. Using an old computer's name on a new replacement

Using an old computer's name on a new replacement: I am getting a new computer to replace one that died. I'd like to use the old computer's name as other devices are linked to it in a home network. Will this cause any problems?...