Windows 10: File History stopped.

Discus and support File History stopped. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer Windows 10 has stopped file history from working. I turned on file history and its still not working> Any Answers? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Artsychick, Jan 24, 2019.

1. File History stopped.

My computer Windows 10 has stopped file history from working.

I turned on file history and its still not working>

Any Answers?

Thank you.

:)

Artsychick, Jan 24, 2019

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Dec 16, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 16, 2019
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

File History stopped.

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

Thema:

File History stopped.

1. File History stopped. - Similar Threads - File History stopped

2. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  3. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  4. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History Back Up Stopped Working

File History Back Up Stopped Working: My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it to do a back up NOW it says it's doing it but nothing happens and it then says "Your data is not yet back up". How do I get...
  6. File History stops working & incomplete

File History stops working & incomplete: File History stops working & incomplete....any ideas. This what I've managed to locate so far and none of works satisfactorily. OS : Win10 home 2004 Backup Target : Storage Space volume of 2-way mirrored 2x External USB3 Laptop drives. Backup Source Directories to...
  7. can not stop file history

can not stop file history: I have an active one drive connection that copies all my documents, etc. to the cloud as well as a backup of files in Windows Server 2012. Prior to the last update build 19041.329, I had file history turned off since it is redundant in my situation. Since the update I am...
  8. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?: I use the external drive for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site. Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History...
  9. Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up: I have been using File History Backup ever since Windows10 was introduced. I just checked the last backup, and see it was Jan 1, 2018 - seams to have stopped working as of then, and don't know how to get it going again. I have it set to back up Daily and to keep History for 1...
  10. File History Stopped Working...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Stopped Working...: I've searched this site and Google for the error I get and have found nothing that seems to pertain to this issue exactly. I have been using the file history backup function since installing W10 Home right before the free offer expired and it has been working fine. I was...