Windows 10: File History update failes

Discus and support File History update failes in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Backing up File History (to an external drive) takes its time and then fails just before it is about to complete ....every time. 101148 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by clayto, Dec 27, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

File History update failes

Backing up File History (to an external drive) takes its time and then fails just before it is about to complete ....every time.

:)

clayto, Dec 27, 2017

2. File History Backup doesn't work Windows 10

I continue to have the same problem with Surface Pro3. File history has proven to be problematic. The problem boils down to this:

Setup File History using settings provided by MSFT.

Run File History for the first time

Confirm settings for updating HOURLY.

Check back hours later using file manager or the History app and find that update did not occur as scheduled, and that any attempt to update manually will fail.

Next: Click "Turn off", then press "Turn on"....finally manually run File History. Now it works.

Repeat the process for several days. File History may not run for days, even weeks until I manually turn off/on/ manual.

It is strange that a Microsoft product Surface running Windows should continue to fail a basic process that is vitally important to users.

JohnEppley, Dec 27, 2017
  3. delete failed updates in Windows 10 version 1703 update history

I have 30+ failed updates in my update history that I am hiding because I have W10 1703 and updates were for 1709. Is there a way to clean this history up without deleting the entire file?

Frank in Abra, Dec 27, 2017
Thema:

File History update failes

1. File History update failes - Similar Threads - File History update

2. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  3. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  4. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  6. Update history some failed some successful

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update history some failed some successful: Showing below is my current update history. Some failed. My question is that if subsequent updates with different "KB" numbers that are successful make up, so to speak for those that failed earlier?...
  7. Unable to Backup / update File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to Backup / update File History: For a couple of months Backup and File History have not been working, even after a successful update to October which cured some problems. I think I have checked out most possibilities, including accessing and starting Backup both from Settings and via Control Panel. I...
  8. Windows 10 File History Failed Silently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History Failed Silently: I just went to restore a file and to my surprise I discovered that File History hasn't made a backup of any files since 25 May 2018. All the settings are correct and the drive is correctly connected - in fact it readily offers me backups until 25 May. It is set to backup...
  9. Deleting "Failed" entries in Windows Update history

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deleting "Failed" entries in Windows Update history: For whatever reason, I have a bunch of "failed" updates listed under the WU history. They were all cumulative updates for various months. I've done a malware scan, system file check and DISM, all of which were clean. All cumulative updates have successfully installed the...
  10. Deleting "Failed Updates" in Update History

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deleting "Failed Updates" in Update History: I've disabled automatic updates (drivers, Win updates) by making changes to Win 10. Now every entry in Update History is listed as a failed update. Of course, no update has failed; I don't want to install them yet. Is there a way to delete failed update entries? 40662