Windows 10: File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10

Discus and support File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have installed and formatted a new portable USB flash drive into one of my computer ports. Its purpose is to backup my computer file images... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Moogerditch5, Feb 1, 2021.

1. File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10

I have installed and formatted a new portable USB flash drive into one of my computer ports. Its purpose is to backup my computer file images thereby completing a file history from time to time. My "device manager" shows that it is not working or connected.

How do I have it start or begin the recovery process?

I hope I have made my question clear enough.

Thanks for a reply.

Moogerditch5

:)

Moogerditch5, Feb 1, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

Bree, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Drive

When I try to create a Recovery Drive in Windows 10, Windows doesn't recognize the flash drive.

I'm following the instructions to create a Recovery Drive listed here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice. (I was asked to confirm my choice, and I clicked "Yes".)

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select
      Next.

• (Secret Step) Wait a minute or so for the "Please Wait" screen to finish thinking

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it ...
    The issue is that when I connect a USB drive to the PC, it doesn't appear on the "Connect a USB flash drive" screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.

However, when I look in File Explorer, I can see the USB drive plugged into the computer. Selecting Properties shows that Windows considers its Type to be "Removable Disk". (Sounds right to me.)

I'm not getting any error messages.

My environment:

A brand new Toshiba Sattelite C55-C5241 laptop with Windows 10 Home. It's never had anything other than Windows 10 on it - unless they upgraded it at the factory.

A brand new ativa 8GB USB flash drive. Note that the packaging for the USB drive does not include Windows 10 in the System Requirements, but seriously?

What I've tried:

• Plugging the flash drive into all three USB ports (USB 2, USB 2, and USB 3)
    • Reformatting the flash drive with FAT32
    • Restarting the computer with the flash drive plugged in
    • Turning off Real-Time Scanning in McAffee

I've seen a few threads with this issue in Windows 8, but none of the potential solutions in those threads have worked for me. So here I am asking the same question, but for Windows 10.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you.

Ambisinister, Feb 1, 2021
  4. GaryBetty Win User

File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10

How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

I cannot reconnect my file history file drive

GaryBetty, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10

1. File History/USB Recovery Drive/Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File History USB

2. file history recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history recovery: Himy laptop was stolen, i was using filehistory as a backupwhen i tried to recover the backup i messed up, and stopped the process, and for what i read in this forums this is a crucial point, cause i believe the system rewrites the config files on the backupat this point im...
  3. file history recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history recovery: Himy laptop was stolen, i was using filehistory as a backupwhen i tried to recover the backup i messed up, and stopped the process, and for what i read in this forums this is a crucial point, cause i believe the system rewrites the config files on the backupat this point im...
  4. Interrupted File History Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Interrupted File History Recovery: About halfway through a huge recovery action started to restore my files, the system rebooted for some unknown reason. I seem to only be able to start over. Will this create duplicate files of the ones that had been recovered the first time? Is there any way to avoid that or...
  5. Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can file history backup the files that are on a usb drive?: I am not asking about backing up TO an external drive. submitted by /u/nintendo1889 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mrq3tf/can_file_history_backup_the_files_that_are_on_a/
  6. windows 10 recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 recovery usb drive: I have a dell 5290 2in 1 laptop, it showed a error message of 0xc000000f * I Downloaded windows 10 from a different computer to a USB stick * i then put the usb into the dell computer it went into recovery mode for about 20 minutes then said there was a probelm and no...
  7. windows 10 file history usb selection

windows 10 file history usb selection: Hi I have a problem that the fie history will not recognise my usb back up drive.when selected .It is ok in file explore but in the history window it is showing two drive letters (e) (f) which it does not like, How do I clear these so that I can select the right drive and...
  8. File history not working on a USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history not working on a USB Drive: I use File History as one of my back-up strategies for my computer. I started using File History on this machine in Windows 8 and continued it into Windows 10. My back-up drive for file history is a 4tb USB drive named Backup and given the drive letter of (I). Due to my...
  9. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  10. USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10?

USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10?: Hi what size is best for a USB flash drive memory stick in order to create a recovery drive for the newly installed Win 10 pls? Is 64GB too large? Appreciate any help Thx 46164