Windows 10: File History verses Backup and Restore verses Settings

Discus and support File History verses Backup and Restore verses Settings in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 has 3 ways to backup and restore. You can go to SETTINGS. Then define the drives to backup. Now according instructions, you must Stop a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveMullen3, Feb 22, 2019.

1. File History verses Backup and Restore verses Settings

Windows 10 has 3 ways to backup and restore.

You can go to SETTINGS. Then define the drives to backup. Now according instructions, you must Stop a Drive to set a drive. Unfortunately nothing happens with Stop a Drive except it clears the defined drives to backup. And, why isn't this called Define a Backup Drive?

You can setup Backup and Restore (Version 7). Why is it called Version 7? Is it not to be used on Windows 10? It seems to allow restoring individual files. But it does not seem to backup except from the C drive.

You can setup File History. This keeps images, but seemingly only of the C drive. And it seems to have no way of restoring individual files.

Why won't the restore methods list all the files it has backed up? Guessing the file name is terrible.

Thanks

:)

SteveMullen3, Feb 22, 2019
  2. DonTolson Win User

U-Verse app for Windows Phone7

This is probably a question better posed to the AT&T folks on one of their community support forums, since AT&T 'owns' the U-Verse app.

It could be, however, that they are planning either an extensive upgrade for Windows Phone 8 functionality, or capabilities within WP8 make U-Verse unnecessary or obsolete.

Not being an AT&T customer, I'm not sure all the U-Verse does, but these are just some ideas.

DonTolson, Feb 22, 2019
  3. shoe7400 Win User
    U-Verse app for Windows Phone7

Why in the world would AT&T end of life the U-Verse app for Windows phone 7.5

shoe7400, Feb 22, 2019
  4. File History verses Backup and Restore verses Settings

File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Feb 22, 2019
Thema:

File History verses Backup and Restore verses Settings

1. File History verses Backup and Restore verses Settings - Similar Threads - File History verses

2. Windows Verse documents upload on to Windows 10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Verse documents upload on to Windows 10 laptop.: I had WIndow verse Documents uploaded into my new laptop and they come up as Wordpad, with symbols, lines, and numbers before the writingHow do I properly change the documents to a modern word document? I have tried copy, posting the words and all that happens is the words...
  3. Windows Verse documents upload on to Windows 10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Verse documents upload on to Windows 10 laptop.: I had WIndow verse Documents uploaded into my new laptop and they come up as Wordpad, with symbols, lines, and numbers before the writingHow do I properly change the documents to a modern word document? I have tried copy, posting the words and all that happens is the words...
  4. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  5. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  6. Backup and Restore Question for File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  7. Home edition verse Pro??

Home edition verse Pro??: other than cost between them. I have home edition. what does Pro offer that home doesn't?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-edition-verse-pro/e0f84092-a80d-45b3-a4f8-48b887a19a4a
  8. confirming Windows 10 verses 8.

in Windows 10 Customization
    confirming Windows 10 verses 8.: How do I confirm what level of Windows I am running. IE. 10 verses https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/confirming-windows-10-verses-8/b64c6a7e-a6ba-4dc7-a73d-c7a25b1a092e
  9. Legal Issues: Consumers verses Microsoft (MS)

Legal Issues: Consumers verses Microsoft (MS): LEGAL How many out there experienced the same problem as I just did? Millions? Is there enough for a class action against MS? Basically, the tried to sell me something and failed miserably by ruining my laptop, then disappeared without a word - very convenient! It's like...
  10. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...