Windows 10: File History VS Backup and Restore

Discus and support File History VS Backup and Restore in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/simochiology, Aug 18, 2020.

1. File History VS Backup and Restore

Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive.

1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and restore?

2) which one is smaller in the long term?

3) which one backups faster?

4) which one is more useful when it comes to accidental delete or changr of a file?

Thank you

submitted by /u/simochiology
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/simochiology, Aug 18, 2020

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Aug 18, 2020
  3. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Aug 18, 2020
  4. File History VS Backup and Restore

Windows 10: Difference between File history, and Backup and Restore

The title pretty much says it all. I've been going through the various backup options for windows, but I do not understand the difference between these two. They seem to have the same purpose in mind(backing up files, I've even read that file history was intended to replace backup and restore), except the former is automated and limited to what it can backup while the latter is manual but more comprehensive. Is this correct?

@downvote(s)
    I don't have any flash drives to try these methods myself, but I have been looking up/reading about these backup options myself. Here is what I know:

File history

• Was meant to replace backup and recovery
    • Only backups personal files/libraries
    • more user friendly/ streamlined

Backup and recover

• predecessor of file history, same basic idea
    • freedom to backup whatever files you want
    • option to create a system image

From what I've read I think both options can schedule automated backups, the only thing that really sticks out here to me is backup and recovery's option to create a system image. From this info I want to say that backup and recovery and file history do the same thing(backup files periodically), but backup and recovery can do more of the same. My question is, am I missing something here, Is there good reason to use file history over backup and restore besides ease-of-use?

user518967, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

File History VS Backup and Restore

1. File History VS Backup and Restore - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  3. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  4. Windows 10 backup and restore - File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup and restore - File history: Does Microsoft still support Windows 10 Backup and Restore File History? I have read differing opinions on this? Is it being phased out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-and-restore-file-history/48ead602-8f04-49b3-9d8f-b8d056df5ebe
  5. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  6. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  7. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd
  8. File History vs System Image Backup

File History vs System Image Backup: Hi! I have a question regarding File History vs System Image Backup, that I haven't been able to find online unfortunately. System Image Backup is something that I understand can be scheduled to ones needs, daily, weekly or so forth, and can be done on specific folders...
  9. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  10. Backup vs history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup vs history: I had bad experience with win 8.1 history back, it did not worked. Is the windows backup history reliable, or should I use windows 7 backup? Thanks 87287