Windows 10: File History vs Copy & Paste

Discus and support File History vs Copy & Paste in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am currently using a copy and paste method for backing up my hard drives to EHD devices. I have to split my data between 2 EHD devices because of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DebraBurroughs, Jun 2, 2021.

1. File History vs Copy & Paste

I am currently using a copy and paste method for backing up my hard drives to EHD devices. I have to split my data between 2 EHD devices because of the large amount of data. If I copy and paste the biggest folders, it can take over 12 hours to copy each of the four. If I analyze what has changed, it takes less time, but still a considerable amount. Does the File History backup add/change/delete files as needed? Is it any quicker? Does it take up less EHD space than my copy/paste method? My largest HD is 4TB, about 3/4 full. I have never used File History, so I have no experience to dra

:)

DebraBurroughs, Jun 2, 2021

2. Copy Paste History

Sorry, Windows does not keep a history your copy/paste steps.

Deleting files from your backup medium is high-risk stuff unless you first make sure that you still have copies of your files stored on
    two independent media.

Frederik Long, Jun 2, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    how do I copy and paste

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing?

• Are you not able to copy or paste the files?

• What exactly happens when you try to copy the files?

• Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• To copy
      Ctrl + C
    • To Paste ctrl + V
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

Keyboard shortcuts in Windows

Reply with necessary information so that we can assist you better.

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, Jun 2, 2021
  4. File History vs Copy & Paste

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jun 2, 2021
Thema:

File History vs Copy & Paste

1. File History vs Copy & Paste - Similar Threads - File History Copy

2. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  3. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  4. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  6. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  7. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

8. NirCmd: Copy Path vs. Copy File Name

NirCmd: Copy Path vs. Copy File Name: Merging the following code in the Registry adds a "Copy File Path" context-menu in File Explorer and it works properly. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\CopyFilePath] @="Copy File Path" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\CopyFilePath\command]...
  9. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  10. back up vs. file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3