Windows 10: File History vs VSS vs 3rd party backup app for open workstation files

Discus and support File History vs VSS vs 3rd party backup app for open workstation files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; 1. Does Windows 10 File History back up open files, eg. open excel or pdf's or only closed files? I use a document management app that stores docs in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by lenraphael, Oct 26, 2017.

1. File History vs VSS vs 3rd party backup app for open workstation files

1. Does Windows 10 File History back up open files, eg. open excel or pdf's or only closed files?
    I use a document management app that stores docs in Sql but temporarily copies them to a user\appdata\roaming\ subfolder while the user is working on the file. Then the app is supposed to copy the saved word, excel, or pdf back toSql when user saves and closes the file. Many times the app fails to copy back to Sql and user has to manually do it. But sometimes the file has been deleted. Then you have to hope it's in the recycle bin, or try a third party undelete tool and wait for that to finish searching.

2. would setting VSS to auto start be a better solution, or does it only store closed files?

3. What is the interaction of File History and VSS on Win 10 workstation? Does FH take over from VSS? I enabled both FH and VSS on a workstation, started VSS service. But I don't see the configuration choices for VSS.

4. I might just have to find a low impact 3rd party continuous backup app for workstations, that could backup to my second hd or to my nas. Any suggestions? (I'd have used Crashplan but i think it won't do local backups in latest ver.)

Len Raphael
    Oakland CA

:)

lenraphael, Oct 26, 2017

2. Win 10 File History backup

Also, what is the interaction of File History and VSS on Win 10 workstation? Does FH take over from VSS? I enabled both FH and VSS on a workstation, started VSS service.

leonardraphael, Oct 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 create good starting point

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below link and check the suggestions provided by
    Annu singh.

Windows 10 - System Image vs File History vs Backup and Restore

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 26, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

File History vs VSS vs 3rd party backup app for open workstation files

Windows file history isn't really a viable backup solution. It works under the severe constraints of of being a totally automated system that must be usable with only a single drive, which is all many computers have. For most people (who never think of making backups until it is too late) it is the closes thing to a backup they will ever have.

But as a backup it leaves much to be desired. In particular if the drive fails you will loose everything. By all means maintain your own backups in a way appropriate for your situation. Windows file history can be useful but never rely on it. Maintain your own backups with the assumption it isn't there. If it works for you consider it a bonus.

LMiller7, Oct 27, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    There are many very good 3rd party backup / restore / cloning programs you can use for making full images of your OS and Data partitions onto affordable and reliable external media. I use platter-driven usb ext 1TB HDs, however, use whatever you feel works for you. *Smile

RolandJS, Oct 28, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That isn't true. I have file history backup set up so that it backs up data files to an SD card permanently inserted in the computer's SD card slot. On my mother-in-law's business computer I use file history backup to the SD card to keep her data files backed up daily. About once per month I do a complete system image backup using Macrium Reflect. In the event of SSD failure the plan would be to restore the last system image backup (stored on a NAS), then update the data files from the SD card which, hopefully, would be less than 24 hours old.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File History vs VSS vs 3rd party backup app for open workstation files

1. File History vs VSS vs 3rd party backup app for open workstation files - Similar Threads - File History VSS

2. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  3. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  4. File History vs Copy & Paste

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History vs Copy & Paste: I am currently using a copy and paste method for backing up my hard drives to EHD devices. I have to split my data between 2 EHD devices because of the large amount of data. If I copy and paste the biggest folders, it can take over 12 hours to copy each of the four. If I...
  5. Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.: Windows defragger always says i don't need to defrag so i figured i would download defraggler to see what it said. And it says on my one drive that it has over 75 thousand fragmented files, where windows say 0% fragmented. So which one do i believe windows or the 3rd party...
  6. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  7. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  8. File History vs System Image Backup

File History vs System Image Backup: Hi! I have a question regarding File History vs System Image Backup, that I haven't been able to find online unfortunately. System Image Backup is something that I understand can be scheduled to ones needs, daily, weekly or so forth, and can be done on specific folders...
  9. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  10. Backup vs history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup vs history: I had bad experience with win 8.1 history back, it did not worked. Is the windows backup history reliable, or should I use windows 7 backup? Thanks 87287

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file history vs vss

2. file history vs 3rd party software