Windows 10: File History will not enable.

Discus and support File History will not enable. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, been using W10 steadily since it came out, and have developed mixed feelings about it. I've been trying to set up one of my redundant drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Narcissus, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Narcissus Win User

File History will not enable.

Hello,
    been using W10 steadily since it came out, and have developed mixed feelings about it.
    I've been trying to set up one of my redundant drives as my backup and as such a file history drive. The problem starts when I select it, and click "Turn on" It will try and back up my files for about 5 seconds before an error notification pops up telling me to reselect my file history drive. It will just do this in a loop, it tries to backup, the error appears, it turns off and starts again. I have tried several different (internal) drives, both NTFS, FAT32 and a couple partitions I dedicated for backup. None of them will work.

Any help is appreciated.
    File History will not enable. [​IMG]

:)

Narcissus, Oct 9, 2015
  2. henryo303 Win User

File History - Could not enable File History

Method 1 results: Safe mode with network: As before, it found the drive,

but this time when I clicked the button "Turn on" I got the message: Could

not enable File History; This service cannot be started in Safe Mode.

Method 2 results: I did not do a clean boot because my computer did not

run fine. I still couldn't use the external hard drive in File History.

henryo303, Oct 9, 2015
  3. henryo303 Win User
    File History - Could not enable File History

Mike, thank you!! It worked. Funny, yesterday I was thinking about either deleting or renaming the old File History file from my Windows 8 machine because I didn't need it, and thought that may be the problem. Then I forgot about that!!

Just a wonderful Microsoft error message, isn't it??? Why didn't they just say there was a file of the same name there and couldn't use it???

Anyway, I'll stop complaining. The problem is fixed and I have you to thank!

Henry

henryo303, Oct 9, 2015
  4. Narcissus Win User

Nevermind, I am uninstalling this cancer disguised as an operating system. Good old Windows 7, here I come.

Narcissus, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

1. File History will not enable. - Similar Threads - File History enable

2. How to enable recent files/folders history for RemoteApps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable recent files/folders history for RemoteApps?: When working via classic Remote Desktop a user can see the history of recently accessed files and folders , for example, in File Explorer view. That is because Windows creates shortcuts in the Recent folder.However, when working with RemoteApps such shortcuts are simply not...
  3. Could not enable file history - parameter is incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not enable file history - parameter is incorrect: Dear Support,I cannot enable file history and keep getting the infamous error "Could not enable file history - the parameter is incorrect" I have tried using services to restart file history, windows backup, windows search etc. without any luck..In the file history...
  4. Could not enable file history - parameter is incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not enable file history - parameter is incorrect: Dear Support,I cannot enable file history and keep getting the infamous error "Could not enable file history - the parameter is incorrect" I have tried using services to restart file history, windows backup, windows search etc. without any luck..In the file history...
  5. Could not enable file history - parameter is incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Could not enable File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Could not enable File History: Trying to enable file history in Windows 10 When I try to enable the file history option - Any pointers are welcome. I have tried several solutions found on the general web searches. Nothing has worked. Thanks in advance Dave [ATTACH]...
  7. Could not enable file history.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not enable file history.: I keep getting the message Could not enable file history. I can not use the file history for backup of my files. As a result I save my files by coping each file manually. How does one enable a file to be used by file history?...
  8. Why can't I enable File History?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why can't I enable File History?: Hello, I am new to this forum and new to Windows 10. I am having a problem using the backup utility in Windows 10, went starting up the panel comes up saying that there is no usable drive, even though I have a DVD inbuilt. I have also tried an external hard drive, still no...
  9. File History: Could not enable File History, this service cannot start, either it is...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History: Could not enable File History, this service cannot start, either it is...: File History: Could not enable File History, this service cannot start, either it is disabled or no enabled devices associated with it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-could-not-enable-file-history-this/2ab32c9c-72d5-4004-bef9-f31911520d43
  10. Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select...