Windows 10: File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the...

Discus and support File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I received a notification to reconnent my File History drive. I cannot keep it connected for various reasons.I reconnected the drive letter E:, same as... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Anthony Mannucci, Jun 19, 2021.

1. File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the...

I received a notification to reconnent my File History drive. I cannot keep it connected for various reasons.I reconnected the drive letter E:, same as it's always been.When I open the File History app, I see files listed for dates when the external drive was not connected. If I dig down into the directory structure, the date goes back in time and seems to find files from a previous backup.From the File History control panel, when I press "Run Now", it says it is backing up my files, and then quits in about 10 seconds. The following error can be found in the console log:Unable to s

:)

Anthony Mannucci, Jun 19, 2021

2. File History Drive Full - Now What

Hi Don,

File History drive usually contains older versions of Windows on your PC. To clean your File History drive, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel (small icon view), and then click on the
      File History.
    • On the left pane, click on Advanced settings.
    • Click on the Clean up versions link in the Versions
      section. Note: The Clean up versions link will not be available if you don't have any File History versions available on currently selected drive.
    • Select the time period of versions you want to delete, and then click on
      Clean up
    • File History Cleanup will now start discovering items for the specified time period, and delete them if available.
    • If it didn't find any versions of your files that were that old, click on Close, and repeat step 4 above using a shorter time period if you like.
      If the cleanup completed successfully, click on OK.
    • You can now close If the cleanup completed successfully, click/tap on OK.
    • You can now close the windows.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve your concern.

Janeane Cru, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    windows 10 file history error 104 files aren't being backed up to usb drive;

Hi Chery,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• What is the complete error message?

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

File history checks for any changes made to the documents that are included in File history and backups the documents which has been changed. If the File History is not backing up data then the issue could be caused due to some
    incorrect settings or due to some corrupt files. You can try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: check File History Services.

First, I would suggest you to make sure that the services required for backup to run successfully is enabled. Refer to these steps:

• a) Press Windows key + R, type ‘services.msc’ and press enter.
    • b) In the services window, locate the services ‘File history service’ and the

Volume shadow copy service’ and check if they are running.
    • c) If they are not running, right click and select ‘Start’ to manually start the

service.
    • d) Check if you are able to create a backup now
    Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jun 19, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the...

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the...

1. File History will not run. It times out with an error. It has successfully completed in the... - Similar Threads - File History run

2. Error :225 Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error :225 Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or...: A unwanted application was uninstalled a few mins ago during an install wizard of another file after pressing "Decline." it still installed and is potentially malware so I tried uninstalling with control panel and this error came up. How am I supposed to get rid of this now?...
  3. Error "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or...: Every time I'm opening laptop ill get a warning from Windows script host. screen shot attached. also same time ill get defender detect threat. this will happen every time I'm opening laptop. if i restart sometimes this will note get. if i shutdown and again starting this will...
  4. Error "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or...: Every time I'm opening laptop ill get a warning from Windows script host. screen shot attached. also same time ill get defender detect threat. this will happen every time I'm opening laptop. if i restart sometimes this will note get. if i shutdown and again starting this will...
  5. Has ANYONE Successfully Left Windows Insider COMPLETELY?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has ANYONE Successfully Left Windows Insider COMPLETELY?: I won't go into why I made the horrible move to join the Windows Insider program, but I know that I want out and have not been able to make that happen. I do know about using the setting to opt out of future previews, but I want to really, truly be done with the program. I...
  6. Has ANYONE Successfully Left Windows Insider COMPLETELY?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has ANYONE Successfully Left Windows Insider COMPLETELY?: I won't go into why I made the horrible move to join the Windows Insider program, but I know that I want out and have not been able to make that happen. I do know about using the setting to opt out of future previews, but I want to really, truly be done with the program. I...
  7. Has ANYONE Successfully Left Windows Insider COMPLETELY?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. File History not running

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not running: [img] Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I see someone else has this problem. How do I get on again doesn't help. Settings shows the drive letter H: listing twice, which is weird. A tutorial says you can reset File History without losing data....
  9. Sorting out File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sorting out File History: Looks like File History typically runs forever or is aborted without error messages. The log files suggest that lots of files were not successfully backed up, without specifics: Unable to finish backup cycle for configuration ... Unusual condition was encountered during...
  10. "Run..." history has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Run..." history has disappeared.: Every now and then I use run to do something. Like run the Firefox Profile manager, regedit, etc. Typically the "Run" pulldown menu has the commands I had previouly run - which is convenient. But it is now blank. There is no record of previous commands even after I enter a...