Windows 10: File History Windows 10 Add Just One Subdir?

Discus and support File History Windows 10 Add Just One Subdir? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to back up JUST \users\me\documents\visual studio 2015\projects and exclude everything else from \users\me\documents. This is so my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cniggeler, Dec 13, 2018.

1. cniggeler Win User

File History Windows 10 Add Just One Subdir?

Hi, I would like to back up JUST \users\me\documents\visual studio 2015\projects and exclude everything else from \users\me\documents. This is so my backup device does not fill up with stuff I don't want/need.

I tried excluding \users\me\documents (which is included by default), then used "Add a Folder" on the More Options screen for
    "Back Up Using File History". I have confirmed that both the exclude and include are present in config1.xml, but it's not working.

I can envision one option, enabling \users\me\documents and then disabling all subdirs besides \visual studio 2015\projects, but that would require me to continually monitor the parent folder - when I install a new product it may create a new subdir there, which would then get backed up...

Thanks!

:)

cniggeler, Dec 13, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 13, 2018
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Dec 13, 2018
  4. GaryBetty Win User

How to reconnect file history drive? Windows 10

I cannot reconnect my file history file drive

GaryBetty, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

1. File History Windows 10 Add Just One Subdir? - Similar Threads - File History Add

2. Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11: I would like to use File History in Windows 11. But I notice that it can only backup folders in Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. However, I also want to backup folders in D drive. Is there any way to add those folders?...
  3. Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11: I would like to use File History in Windows 11. But I notice that it can only backup folders in Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. However, I also want to backup folders in D drive. Is there any way to add those folders?...
  4. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  5. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  6. Can't add folder to File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't add folder to File History: I'm in Backup options of File History 1. Press + Add folder 2. Choose a folder with Google Drive on disk J 3. Nothing happens - no errors, no logs, just nothing This problem in Feedback Hub https://aka.ms/AA8mqq8 Should I search for another backup solution on Windows 10?...
  7. File history restoring to one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history restoring to one drive: After sudden catastrophic failure of my SSD I am trying to restore files to a new SSD with a fresh windows install using file history. It will restore files then immediately one drive seems to take control of the folder. Manually moving folders from one drive to local storage...
  8. Add an external drive to File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  9. Unable to add a drive for File History

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to add a drive for File History: I'm having trouble setting the windows 10 file history drive. The drive I'm trying to use is Y: on disk 4 in the disk management image attached, which shares a 4TB hdd with another two partitions. It uses GPT and is a dynamic disk. All partitions are formatted as NTFS. When I...
  10. Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders to be Backed Up by File History in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back...