Windows 10: File History with 2 external HDDs

Discus and support File History with 2 external HDDs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FrozenCursor, Jul 5, 2015.

1. File History with 2 external HDDs

I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did?

The idea is that I could do File History with the 2 external HDDs on alternate days, so if the internal HDD and one external HDD happen to die on the same day (very, very unlikely, I know) I lose just one day of backup at the most.

:)

FrozenCursor, Jul 5, 2015

2. Recovering files from one account to another account in Windows 10 File History

I have been using File History successfully on Windows 10 under user account Marcel (C:\Users\Marcel) to back up to an external drive.

Following a Windows 10 software release to 1709 my machine froze, so I installed a clean copy of Windows 10 using my Microsoft Account which has created a different user (C:\Users\Meste).

I connected this account to File History and it has written a new set of (empty) history to the same external HDD under this account.

How do I use File History to retrieve the files under user Marcel? (Browsing the external HDD shows that they are there in the versioned format)

MarcelMester, Jul 5, 2015
  3. Problem with File History in Windows 10

In addition to what I have said before.

i have been fiddling about with File History in Windows 10, just for fun as I have reverted back to my old backup s/w and have noticed one oddity.

When using File History to backup my folders to my external HDD I diligently went to the 'Eject external' button before disconnecting it and powering off my laptop. At the end of the next day I reconnected the external and ran File History and found that
    all the files from all the folders had been duplicated whether they had been changed or not. I deleted everything from the HDD and tried File History again but instead of using the 'Eject External' thingy just powered down the whole thing before disconnecting
    the HDD. The following day after reconnecting the drive and running FH only changed files were replaced on the drive.

i may be wrong but seems to me that the Eject External makes Windows think that next time it's going to backup to a new drive.

RayMathiesen, Jul 5, 2015
  4. File History with 2 external HDDs

Answering my own question: I pooled the 2 external HDDs in a single Storage Space in a 2-way mirror configuration for data resiliency. I then use the single Storage Space for File History. Be aware though that the 2 HDDs are reformatted when the Storage Space is created. I am happy with the solution sofar *Smile

FrozenCursor, Jul 22, 2015
Thema:

File History with 2 external HDDs

1. File History with 2 external HDDs - Similar Threads - File History external

2. Data comparison between 2 HDDs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data comparison between 2 HDDs.: I have 2 HDDs installed in workgroup PC. I copied necessary data from 1 HDD to another HDD. There are too many subfolders. Now I want to verify that all data is copied successfully or not.How can I verify data folder by folder & file by file?I checked each & every folders'...
  3. deleting file history on external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  4. Increasing performance of External HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  5. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs: I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?...
  6. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  7. Windows File History use 2 external harddrives

Windows File History use 2 external harddrives: Hello. I´m trying to use 2 identical external ssd drives to use file history. In general I want to plugin one disk, the file history backs up. Then I want to plugin the second one. And then it doesn´t work. File history software doesn´t seem to be able to handle 2 different...
  8. Add an external drive to File History

Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  9. External USB HDD and file history

External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  10. External HDDs unmounting itself !

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...