Windows 10: File History won't change the names of my folders

Discus and support File History won't change the names of my folders in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I occasionally need to change the names of some of my folders. However, File History won't recognize these changes and continues to use the old names.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimBrown957, May 4, 2019.

1. File History won't change the names of my folders

I occasionally need to change the names of some of my folders. However, File History won't recognize these changes and continues to use the old names. How do I fix this?

:)

TimBrown957, May 4, 2019

2. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, May 4, 2019
  3. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

Two odd things are happen to my files:

1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name
    2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library)

Here's what is happening in explorer:

I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder path= c:\users\jose\photos old\

So I know the folder exists, but it does not appear in explorer within c:\users\jose\

Then, I change the file name in explorer to IMG_3654XXX.JPG and the folder name changes to c:\users\jose\pictures\holiday (this folder can be seen).

Is this something to do with libraries? Under libraries, the name photos old is NOT listed.

paulmarcus, May 4, 2019
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

File History won't change the names of my folders

How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

Thema:

File History won't change the names of my folders

1. File History won't change the names of my folders - Similar Threads - File History won't

2. Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/: I had a laptop which recently broke and the manufacturer had to send me a replacement. I had used File History to backup my files. I restored the files to the new computer which has a different computer name and username. Unfortunately, this changed the username on the new...
  3. Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/: I had a laptop which recently broke and the manufacturer had to send me a replacement. I had used File History to backup my files. I restored the files to the new computer which has a different computer name and username. Unfortunately, this changed the username on the new...
  4. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  5. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  6. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. File History not backing up files with changed names

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History not backing up files with changed names: Hi I have change the file names on thousands of my photos to be consistent in the naming of the photos. Because they file name have been changed but on the file itself it does not backup using File History. How do I fix this. Using Windows 10 Home Version 20H2...
  8. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder: Two odd things are happen to my files: 1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name 2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library) Here's what is happening in explorer: I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder...
  9. file and apps name changes in folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file and apps name changes in folders: When I open my folders the contents of the file names is changed with a date extension added to it : ex. (2018_08_09 14_55_16 UTC) . Why is this happening and how do I get rid of this. Thanks - Val...
  10. User's Files folder name changed to"Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Files folder name changed to"Folders": User's files folder name(In my case its 'Dev') suddenly changed to "Folders". Whatever new account I create it still shows the home folder as "Folders". Pls help..Its really annoying.My brother used the laptop and accidently installed some malware and adware which i just...