Windows 10: File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

Discus and support File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had, out of ignorance, set my file history to back up my files and never delete the unneeded copies. Needless to say, File History on my external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bearwolf56, Sep 29, 2022.

1. File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

I had, out of ignorance, set my file history to back up my files and never delete the unneeded copies. Needless to say, File History on my external drive has become huge over 87gb. I tried to clean up older copies but couldn't. It gave me the error message "Could not clean up File History data Element not found". Is there any way I can make this work, or a work around other than manually going through the thousands of files and manually deleting every unneeded file? I would just dump it all and start from fresh, but I have some old files that I no

:)

Bearwolf56, Sep 29, 2022

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Sep 29, 2022
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Sep 29, 2022
  4. temp02 Win User

File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Sep 29, 2022
Thema:

File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

1. File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies - Similar Threads - File History Won't

2. File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies: I had, out of ignorance, set my file history to back up my files and never delete the unneeded copies. Needless to say, File History on my external drive has become huge over 87gb. I tried to clean up older copies but couldn't. It gave me the error message "Could not clean up...
  3. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  4. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  5. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History won't delete old backups: I have File History set to keep my backups for 3 months.However, it still does not delete them after 3 months, and this is taking up space.How do I get this feature to work?...
  7. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't delete old backups: I have File History set to keep my backups for 3 months.However, it still does not delete them after 3 months, and this is taking up space.How do I get this feature to work?...
  8. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2

FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2: Hi, this request is similiar to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/file-history-element-not-found-error-on-windows-10/d7043300-9efe-4d83-ab6b-f71812981ca2 Other then he say, an In-place Upgrade did not solve the issue did from 2004 to 20H2....
  10. File History clean up

File History clean up: Last night I decided to clean up back ups in preparation for sending to a new hard drive. In File History I selected to delete all but the last copies of documents. At the end of the clean up, all I was left was with 4 folders with photos. I had thousands, and thousands...