Windows 10: File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for...

Discus and support File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I thought I was careful to set up File History, maybe I've missed something. I have set for hourly backup, 1 month retention, and have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roy_296, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Roy_296 Win User

File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for...

Hello,

I thought I was careful to set up File History, maybe I've missed something. I have set for hourly backup, 1 month retention, and have specified a few additional folders to back up in addition to the defaults. Data is being backed up, I see a little over 15 GB since I set up File History about a month ago.

However, when I try to restore, I get the message "File History is saving copies of your files for the first time. You won't be able to access copies of your files until this is complete. This might take a while... " . Pardon? I already have gigs and gigs backed up. Also, this process has been running about 3 hours now and is using 0% CPU and less than 15 MB memory. So nothing is happening. What's the point of backing up if I can't restore?

Also concerning, when I go into Settings > Backup > More Options, the message in Overview is always the same: "Your Data is not yet backed up". This message is 2 lines below "Size of backup = 16.5 GB". And pressing on the "Back up Now" button returns a brief "backing up your data" message before reverting to "Your Data is not yet backed up" a few seconds later.

I also see File History is now fragmented into two sections, Win10 Settings app and classic Control Panel. Am I maybe better off to manage everything from Control Panel?

What am I doing wrong and how can I restore? Windows 10 Pro 1803

Thanks!

**Original Title**

File History won't restore

:)

Roy_296, Jan 17, 2019

2. File History Drive is full

Hi Katy,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

Can you provide the entire error message that you received?

I would like to inform that the error that you receive indicates that the internal storage capacity for File History is almost full. To rectify this, I would suggest that you perform the methods mentioned below:

If your File History drive is full or almost full, but you can free up some space by changing how often File History saves your files and how long it keeps older versions of your files.

To change how long File History keeps files

• Open Control panel, locate and select File History

• Tap or click Advanced settings.

• Under Versions:

• Next to Save copies of files, tap or click the list, and choose a time interval.

• Next to Keep saved versions, tap or click the list, and choose a time interval.

• Tap or click Save changes.
    For more information refer to the links below

What if something goes wrong in File History?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Setting up a drive for File History

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 17, 2019
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for...

File history folder is there but not recognized when trying to restore it

Hi Inés,

For us to provide a suitable solution to your concern and isolate the cause of the issue, we need additional information:

• Where did you save the file history folder?
    • What was the exact error message when you tried restoring the file history?
    • Can you still search for the file history folder on your PC?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Anne Ros, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

1. File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for... - Similar Threads - File History won't

2. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  3. File History Error Message File History doesn't recognize this device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Error Message File History doesn't recognize this device: File history says my back up external drive is disconnected. It is connected. I've tried switching USB ports, updating USB drivers, renaming the external drive letter, using an entirely different external drive with a different drive letter, formatted the external drive,...
  4. File History Error Message File History doesn't recognize this device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Error Message File History doesn't recognize this device: File history says my back up external drive is disconnected. It is connected. I've tried switching USB ports, updating USB drivers, renaming the external drive letter, using an entirely different external drive with a different drive letter, formatted the external drive,...
  5. restore file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore file history: I continually get a message - for years now - that I need to restore my file history. How do I do that? Evidently I am unble to back up my files to an external hard drive until the file history is restored....
  6. File History - restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History - restore: I backup my files using FileHistory. How do I restore a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/34fcbace-3bd4-43ae-8c0d-c8ec6cbbb17f
  7. File History restore

File History restore: I have a laptop with a cracked screen that I need to have repaired and wont have it for a few days. I've got my File History and an extra laptop that I can use in the interim. How do I: 1. restore / use my files from File History on the extra laptop without crossing over...
  8. Restore history files

Restore history files: i have tried to restore my files after it was refreshed. my history files say no files found. i tried to open the file but the open button is dark and won't work. i asked cortana and virtal assist with success. how do i get my files back? i have windows 10 for over 2 years......
  9. File history restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history restore: My Toshiba tablet keeps. Demanding file history be turned on. The setfings say it is on. How do i turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/73a47ff4-d9cd-474d-aff3-4514dabe3428"
  10. File History won't restore

File History won't restore: Hello, I thought I was careful to set up File History, maybe I've missed something. I have set for hourly backup, 1 month retention, and have specified a few additional folders to back up in addition to the defaults. Data is being backed up, I see a little over 15 GB since...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file history cannot restore saving copies of your files for the first time