Windows 10: File History Won’t Select Folder

Discus and support File History Won’t Select Folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello folks. I’m having some trouble backing up a drive and thought someone here might be able to help. I have multiple drives installed on my PC and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/semikwavers, Dec 20, 2019.

1. File History Won’t Select Folder

Hello folks. I’m having some trouble backing up a drive and thought someone here might be able to help.

I have multiple drives installed on my PC and am trying to back them all up to one external drive (there’s plenty of HD space). Two of the three back up fine, but for the third, it will back up everything other than the main folder where most of the data is stored (~600GB). When selecting the folder in question, it will not display on the “Back up these folders” list, and obviously still not back up.

Is there a permission on the folder that I’m missing? Or is it something else? Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/semikwavers
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/semikwavers, Dec 20, 2019

2. Select folder to store the file history in

I looked at my file history settings today and it showed that it was disabled for some weird reason (I remember setting it up earlier).

When setting it up again, I was only able to select a drive. Previously I know I have been able to select a folder to use as the file history store (I have the folder to prove it), but I couldn't find this feature anywhere in windows 10 (both in the new and in the legacy config windows).

Is the option to store the file history in a specific folder still available or was it removed? And if it is still possible, can someone provide the steps to enable this again?

coolcat007, Dec 20, 2019
  3. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Dec 20, 2019
  4. File History Won’t Select Folder

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

File History Won’t Select Folder

1. File History Won’t Select Folder - Similar Threads - File History Won’t

2. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  3. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  4. When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?: Previously in Win 10 I had the option to select files and folders to backup with File History.This no longer appears to be available in Win 11 which would appear to be an oversight. I am interested to know when it will be reinstated so that I and many others can conduct their...
  5. When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?: Previously in Win 10 I had the option to select files and folders to backup with File History.This no longer appears to be available in Win 11 which would appear to be an oversight. I am interested to know when it will be reinstated so that I and many others can conduct their...
  6. File history folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  7. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  8. file history not backing selected folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not backing selected folder: Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a...
  9. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...
  10. File history skipping files / folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history skipping files / folders: I have custom libraries set up to back up my X:\Pictures directory and it's been backing up just fine. I dumped a large amount of pictures to a sub folder and didn't get around to deleting the bad ones before file history threw them on my history drive. No big deal, I went...