Windows 10: File History won't start automatically

Discus and support File History won't start automatically in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Can anyone explain why file history won't start automatically when I restart my computer? (At least that's why I thin it keeps stopping). Is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NeilWyatt, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NeilWyatt Win User

File History won't start automatically

Can anyone explain why file history won't start automatically when I restart my computer? (At least that's why I thin it keeps stopping).

Is it possible I have set a process not to start automatically and if so how do I 'resurrect it'?

:)

NeilWyatt, Jan 24, 2019
  2. Allan Mej Win User

File History does not start automatically

As I previously mentioned, Backup Using File History does not start automatically. But, you can set it to start automatically. To do so, kindly follow these steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter.
    • Find and click File History Service.
    • Change the Startup type to Automatic and apply changes.
    • Press OK.

Let us know how things goes on your PC.

Allan Mej, Dec 5, 2019
  3. MLA
    mla Win User
    backup File History not starts automatically

> The tutorials here on File History don't seem to make reference to the task.

and this is a thing... If there was Task scheduled it was possible to set it by hour. But this heck doesn't have it.
    So we never know when it will start. So, by logic put it on every 12 hours should run it every 12 hours from last one manual or automatic.
    But my problem that it simply not starts automatically. Kind of beginner programmer forgot lost himself when started to create something good.
    Also, Backup and Restore (Windows 7) utility is in 1903 and it should do the job and sure has task scheduler by time.
    It make backups in zip... I guess File History has really nice capabilities but missing basic needs + simply buggy, without any support or explanation. So all bla-bla documents are not so useful.
    Still hope somebody can suggest some registry "push".

4. File History won't start automatically

File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

File History won't start automatically

1. File History won't start automatically - Similar Threads - File History won't

2. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  3. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  4. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Automatically check File History status?

Automatically check File History status?: I've recently enabled File History on 8 different machines. They all backup to the same network drive, and they're all set to run on a daily basis.File History does run on a daily basis for most of these machines, but there are about three of them that do not run daily. One...
  6. Windows 11 pro File History won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pro File History won't start: In Windows 11 Pro - When I select click on "File History" in Control Panel, There is no response. That is, absolutely nothing happens, nothing at all, as if the linked app doesn't even exist. I have confirmed the relevant "services" are running and set to "automatic" -...
  7. Windows 11 pro File History won't start

Windows 11 pro File History won't start: In Windows 11 Pro - When I select click on "File History" in Control Panel, There is no response. That is, absolutely nothing happens, nothing at all, as if the linked app doesn't even exist. I have confirmed the relevant "services" are running and set to "automatic" -...
  8. file history won't turn on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history won't turn on: file history won't turn on so my external hard drive will work correctly.A message comes that it has no enabled devices attached to it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-wont-turn-on/246374cb-bec9-4233-a293-e00732f30c03
  9. backup File History not starts automatically

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup File History not starts automatically: Hi I created a backup using Files History in W10 1903. The problem is that it never starts automatically. I recreated few times from scratch and set it to Daily, every 12 hours... It works fine manually, when press the button Backup Now. The backup is configured to copy...
  10. File History won't restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History won't restore: Hello, I thought I was careful to set up File History, maybe I've missed something. I have set for hourly backup, 1 month retention, and have specified a few additional folders to back up in addition to the defaults. Data is being backed up, I see a little over 15 GB since...