Windows 10: File History

Discus and support File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My USB external hard drive remains connected to my computer. I keep getting the message "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daisy4me, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Daisy4me Win User

File History

My USB external hard drive remains connected to my computer. I keep getting the message "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long. Reconnect, then click to keep saving copies of files." I have researched Microsoft websites and find topics on File History but none address this problem.

:)

Daisy4me, Oct 12, 2018
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 12, 2018
  3. File History - Does not turn off

To assist you further, we suggest that you try to check on the link below:

Step by Step: File History

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Oct 12, 2018
  4. File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

File History

1. File History - Similar Threads - File History

2. Unable to re-engage File History backup. Error: Reselect your File History drive -We found...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to re-engage File History backup. Error: Reselect your File History drive -We found...: Unable to re-engage File History backup. Recently (within the last few weeks), begin getting error messages, and now I see the last backup is from January 3, 2019. Using File History on a laptop running the latest release of Windows 10 (i.e. I do not stop Microsoft from...
  3. File History - can't change the backup destination G - new passport is D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History - can't change the backup destination G - new passport is D: I'm trying to do a backup of my new Thinkpad on a new Passport but can't change the destination G on the program.....Win 10 has designated the D for this necessary project....
  4. Backup files that Windows creates with file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files that Windows creates with file history: Does anyone know where I can see the created Backup files that Windows creates with the file history function?? I defined my file history to backup to NAS, but I can't find the files there and also found no function to see the used share in the settings... *Think 127246
  5. In windows 10 all of my files in download folder have disappeared & file history is turned...

In windows 10 all of my files in download folder have disappeared & file history is turned...: About 3 days ago, I had problems with my Windows 10 key (it stopped working) and I thought I'd update the program and then noticed that all of the files that had been downloaded prior to Feb 9th (going back years) were now not in the download folder or C drive. When I went to...
  6. how can i find history of unauthorised transfer of my files from my pc via bluetooth ?...

how can i find history of unauthorised transfer of my files from my pc via bluetooth ?...: how can i find history of unauthorised transfer of my files from my pc via bluetooth ? the bluetooth folder i've found is empty but there must be a history somewhere bluetooth was used by my ex partner to steal confidential info and court documents . how can i find...
  7. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder: Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive? Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a OneDrive folder as the >>target<< of the backup. I want to make a local backup of a OneDrive folder on a local server. When I try...
  8. Has Max_path limit been fixed in Windows 10 File History?

Has Max_path limit been fixed in Windows 10 File History?: Or is there a way to set the max_path variable to a longer path name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-maxpath-limit-been-fixed-in-windows-10-file/5207f33d-471f-466f-9f0f-338ca342c6c5
  9. File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  10. OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?

OK to use File History for more than one account on same external drive?: We are considering creating two backups of each of our two computers. We have two external hard drives, but we're not sure if we need four! Will File History create backups for two different computers on the same external hard drive?...