Windows 10: File History

Discus and support File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My USB external hard drive remains connected to my computer. I keep getting the message "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daisy4me, Oct 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

1. Daisy4me Win User

File History

My USB external hard drive remains connected to my computer. I keep getting the message "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long. Reconnect, then click to keep saving copies of files." I have researched Microsoft websites and find topics on File History but none address this problem.

:)

2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. Marivel Man Win User
    File History - Does not turn off

To assist you further, we suggest that you try to check on the link below:

Step by Step: File History

Update us on the result.

4. Martin Bar Win User

File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Thema:

File History

1. File History - Similar Threads - File History

2. File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held...: On the PC I keep Documents, Pictures and Videos on the OneDrive folder so that any change i make on the PC is automatically added to OneDrive and thus fully available on my phone, Ipad and laptop. But this gives me a problem with the File History backup as none of the One...
  3. File History on/off status issues

File History on/off status issues: I had a hiccup the other day and lost all mail data and ability to connect to past mail boxes. I ran through a folder clean up application assuming it was set not to delete system and mail files (I took care of other personal files). That assumption was highly over the top...
  4. file history

file history: File history does dot auto-back up to external drive : no MS who can give a bloody solution ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history/e6bd7957-a2ea-488b-b5cd-411774751bad
  5. Windows 10 File history log files

Windows 10 File history log files: When I go to: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History and execute file history backup it appears to execute correctly and complete without any errors however when I look in the event viewer under Backup and under File History there are no log files. I have run...
  6. Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10

Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10: I have successfully used file history on my Windows 10 pc for a long time. Lately, the pc says that it does not recognize the drive. I understand that I can switch file history off and then on again, but that creates a new copy of my entire backup, which is not very...
  7. File History not working

File History not working: New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working. The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File...
  8. How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?

How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?: I can't backup any specific folders in my Documents folder unless the Documents folder itself is backed up. Otherwise trying to add them does nothing. Adding the Documents folder to the backup list causes my other folders to appear on the list. Why is this? Am I expected to...
  9. File History not working with internal backup drives.

File History not working with internal backup drives.: I have been reading the MANY posts about File History not working. I have 4 different machines and have been trying to get it to work on each of them with no luck, including V 1809. I have started and set to Auto (Delayed Start) all of the services for Software Protection,...
  10. Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?: I am trying to enable File History in WIndows 10, but "No usable drive was found" error is given. I have partitioned my main hard drive to have another virtual drive (Y:) to maintain copies of files as backups. I want to use this separate partition on my main hard drive as...