Windows 10: File History

Discus and support File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My USB external hard drive remains connected to my computer. I keep getting the message "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daisy4me, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Daisy4me Win User

File History

My USB external hard drive remains connected to my computer. I keep getting the message "Your File History drive was disconnected for too long. Reconnect, then click to keep saving copies of files." I have researched Microsoft websites and find topics on File History but none address this problem.

:)

Daisy4me, Oct 12, 2018
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 12, 2018
  3. File History - Does not turn off

To assist you further, we suggest that you try to check on the link below:

Step by Step: File History

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Oct 12, 2018
  4. File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

File History

1. File History - Similar Threads - File History

2. File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History: Can I use File History to install a backup onto another PC, all in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history/97950427-5c09-43de-94db-51274eadcf0a
  3. File History: Want to be able to choose custom folder on target drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: Want to be able to choose custom folder on target drive: I'm frustrated by the lack of fine tuning available in File History when it comes to choosing the target for File History backups. On an attached drive it only lets you choose the drive letter and then creates a standard folder, "FileHistory," on the root directory of the...
  4. File History won't recognise disk drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File History won't recognise disk drives: I've installed a new SSD. It's listed in Device Manager and when I click on the drive a message tells me that the device is working properly. However, when I go into File History and search for a drive I'm told that, "No usable drive was found." The new drive does not appear...
  5. Some folders are missing in File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some folders are missing in File History: I have a strange issue because I can find some folders in Properties but File History panel doesn’t show them. How can I make them visible from the Control Panel?...
  6. Restore history files

Restore history files: i have tried to restore my files after it was refreshed. my history files say no files found. i tried to open the file but the open button is dark and won't work. i asked cortana and virtal assist with success. how do i get my files back? i have windows 10 for over 2 years......
  7. file history is turned off and I cannot figure out how to turn it on. It says to connect...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file history is turned off and I cannot figure out how to turn it on. It says to connect...: I am not good with computers easier is better. How can I turn file history on when it is showing I have no drives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-is-turned-off-and-i-cannot-figure-out/12cea0d5-34c8-4f19-8afb-a6baf3389f16
  8. file history

file history: Question: I have a new device running linux mint...is there a method where I can transfer all my files from file history (on an external drive) to the linux device? In other words...put docs in doc folder, photos in photo folder, videos in video folder etc etc...Thx......
  9. Restore from File History keeps stopping

Restore from File History keeps stopping: I am trying to restore my data from a previous Dell XPS 13 9380 to a new Dell XPS 13 9380 computer using W10 build 17763.529 from an apple time capsule disk drive that I have been using for multiple apple and windows machines with no problem for years. The restore of 198GB...
  10. File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date: I'm new to Windows 10. I turned on File History and selected a network device (a NAS) as the destination. I set "Backup my files" to "every hour" and "Keep my backups" to "forever." The backups have been running for several days now. My PC runs at least 12 hours a day, so...