Windows 10: File History

Discus and support File History in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, Quick one regarding File History. I want to set up File History on my computer at home, as I used it at my work recently and it saved me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BennyJW, Oct 19, 2020.

1. BennyJW Win User

File History

Hi Everyone,

Quick one regarding File History. I want to set up File History on my computer at home, as I used it at my work recently and it saved me a few times, but all my home files are on a NAS not the actual PC and i can't seem to select those folders for back up.

I have also tried to enable file history on my work laptop for an attached USB drive I use with my work file and have the same problem.

So i was just wondering if it is possible to set up File History for files on a networked or USB drive or do they need to be on the "C Drive" of the computer you are enabling file history on? If not is there a way to enable it on a Synology NAS, or the USB drive directly so it can be utilised by an networked PC?

In the work situation the files were being saved on a networked drive but i assume that it was a WIN Server so they enabled the feature on that specific machine to allow users to utilize but hoping i can do the same in my situation.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

:)

BennyJW, Oct 19, 2020
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 19, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 19, 2020
  4. File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

File History

1. File History - Similar Threads - File History

2. How can i delete the Win+r file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i delete the Win+r file history: I have uploaded a picture to show the problem***** moved from german to english Community ***** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-delete-the-winr-file-history/32fa9ba4-7be9-4776-939f-5a6a2d6b55e8
  3. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  4. Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There a 3rd Party Backup App That Also Saves the Hidden Files But Uses File History: Hi Windows Backup friends. File History sadly the hidden files which sometimes have the save files for games won't be included, does anyone know a 3rd-party app or a Command Prompt or Powershell command that will include the hidden files and folders when your use File History...
  5. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file: I was trying to download an executable file from filen.io and when I click download the process happens on the page like as in MEGA download and my IDM didn't overtake it the problem happens halfway through the download Firefox shows a download complete message with zero byte...
  6. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file: I was trying to download an executable file from filen.io and when I click download the process happens on the page like as in MEGA download and my IDM didn't overtake it the problem happens halfway through the download Firefox shows a download complete message with zero byte...
  7. firefox download history shows o byte file while i am downloading a higher size file

8. Why I do not see in File history my last backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why I do not see in File history my last backup?: Why I do not see in File history my last backup? The backup was completed and there is enough place on the disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-i-do-not-see-in-file-history-my-last-backup/59558eea-133d-42af-88a9-9770eb7a3d49
  9. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...
  10. Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?

Does File History Also Backup the Hidden Files and Hidden Folders Like AppData?: Hi Microsoft friends, does File History I think that's the weakest way to repair and recover compared to the many Windows tools to repair and recover- too many though it's confusing but File History is the to easiest use backup the hidden files and hidden folders in say the...