Windows 10: File History

Discus and support File History in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; for some reason the last update I received i can not back up files at all. Its say my file history is turned off and i never did that.When i go to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Phil7788, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Phil7788 Win User

File History

for some reason the last update I received i can not back up files at all. Its say my file history is turned off and i never did that.When i go to my control panel and hit file history it does not show

Phil

:)

Phil7788, Feb 10, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 10, 2021
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Feb 10, 2021
  4. File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

File History

1. File History - Similar Threads - File History

2. I can't get file history to open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't get file history to open: I'm running windows 10 and have been backing up my data with file history. Now all of a sudden I can't get to the backup screen. It says file history is off, but when I click on the link to configure file history nothing happens....
  3. File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005): I've come across an issue where File History no longer backs up my files and when I try to do it manually, the error "We can't copy files to your file history drive. Failed to initiate user data backup (error 80070005)" pops up. I've looked up what the error is and it's an...
  4. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  5. File History back up not working

File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  6. backup, file history, and image file

backup, file history, and image file: I want to backup my entire computer to an external hard drive. I want to add new files and programs to the external drive every so often, but the drive will remain disconnected from my computer. Microsoft answers gave three different ways to do so, but after looking at the...
  7. File History no longer seeing other users' backups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History no longer seeing other users' backups: File History has been working fine for years, until a few days ago when I stopped being able to see my wife's backups AND mine in the File History > Select Drive. Now I can only see my own backup, and I have to login as my wife to see hers, and she of course can't see mine....
  8. I cannt get Windows 10 to now recognise my external hard drive for file history

I cannt get Windows 10 to now recognise my external hard drive for file history: I cannt get Windows 10 to now recognise my external hard drive for file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannt-get-windows-10-to-now-recognise-my/a19931a5-99ed-413d-a3a3-f8c79abcc218
  9. Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External...

Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External...: I have a 1Tb external hard drive which I would like to use as the backup drive. I have a separate 4Tb external hard drive on which I store information. This hard drive is encrypted. There is also a separately encrypted volume within the hard drive. Both the hard drive and...
  10. File History Does Not Work

File History Does Not Work: Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up". On clicking "Back...