Windows 10: File hitory until space is needed

Discus and support File hitory until space is needed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to know how file history handles the following case. File history, configured with Until space is needed, needs to delete one file to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Paul9132, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Paul9132 Win User

File hitory until space is needed

I would like to know how file history handles the following case. File history, configured with Until space is needed, needs to delete one file to free up space on an external drive. Which file is deleted?

File A, current version, 4/20/2019

File A, minus 1 version, 3/1/2019

File A, minus 2 version, 2/15/2019

File B, current version, 4/15/2019

File B, minus 1 version, 1/10/2019

:)

Paul9132, Oct 14, 2019
  2. AM*
    Am* Win User

Uber file server build -- suggestions

Uber file server build -- suggestions?

I'm currently in the process of buying stuff for my file server build. Going to try and keep this build all in one thread this time.

Stuff already bought:

• Motherboard (socket 1155 H61)
      RAM (1600MHz)
      PCI SATA cards
      Operating System (Windows 8 + FreeNAS)
      SSD
      CPU (35w Pentium Ivybridge 2.6GHz)
    Looking for suggestions on:

• GPU -- use the on-die GPU or buy a PCI-E graphics card (was thinking of a 7750)? My only requirement is that it is able to run 1080p mkv files and play Blurays without a problem.
      Case -- needs to hold as many 3.5" drives as humanly possible (more than 10 at least), while not being too expensive
      PSU -- needs to be able to run over 40 SATA HDDs as well as 6xPCI RAID cards and 1xPCI-E 2.0 RAID card. Silver, Gold or Platinum?
      CPU Cooler -- fanless or not?
      Case fans
    That's all I can think of for now...unless I'm forgetting something...oh and one more thing -- I will be buying the hard drives two at a time as I run out of space. Also the PCI-E RAID card will be bought a lot later down the line, as I've only just got enough hard drives for 1 out of 6 of my PCI SATA cards.

Any suggestions, feel free to post. Thanks

3. Not enough space even though there is space

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We will surely assist you with the issue. Refer the below steps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to change the file system to NTFS while formatting and then try copying the files and check.

Step 2:

• Take the backup of the data, if you have any important data in it?
      • Let’s format the drive and check.
      • Go to this PC.
      • Right click on the external USB device.
      • Select Format.

Note: Formatting will delete all the data in the device, taking a backup of the data is recommended before performing a format.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Oct 14, 2019
  4. File hitory until space is needed

No space on hard drive due to system reserved patition and installer files

Hi Ruth,

The issue may occur due to corrupted system files or memory full. In order for us to assist you, please answer the questions below:

• What is the exact error message?
    • Can you please provide us a screenshot of your hard drive status.

To isolate the issue, we suggest to check this article of Andre Da Costa:
    How to free up disk space in Windows
    . It contains troubleshooting steps and explanation pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

File hitory until space is needed

1. File hitory until space is needed - Similar Threads - File hitory until

2. Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full": I have been using Windows 10 File History for years with a My Passport external hard drive. It is set to "until space is needed", which I think means it should delete intermediate backup copies to make space for new ones as required: see screenshot below.I have checked that...
  3. Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full": I have been using Windows 10 File History for years with a My Passport external hard drive. It is set to "until space is needed", which I think means it should delete intermediate backup copies to make space for new ones as required: see screenshot below.I have checked that...
  4. Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History set to "until space is needed" but reports "drive is full": I have been using Windows 10 File History for years with a My Passport external hard drive. It is set to "until space is needed", which I think means it will delete intermediate backup copies to make space for new ones as required: see screenshot below.I have checked that...
  5. need more space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need more space: what i can delete from windows folder?? submitted by /u/Frosty_Weird5080 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8oyj4/need_more_space/
  6. File History - Save Until Space is Needed

File History - Save Until Space is Needed: I have File History set to backup every hour and save backups until space is needed. Backups go to a 2T external HD. When space is needed, is File History supposed to make space my overwriting the oldest items? What happens for me is that when space runs out on the...
  7. File history until space is needed

File history until space is needed: I would like to know how file history handles the following case. File history, configured with Until space is needed, needs to delete one file to free up space on an external drive. Which file is deleted? File A, current version, 4/20/2019 File A, minus 1 version,...
  8. Update needs space

Update needs space: Are there any vital apps I must have for function https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-needs-space/26d21040-c886-44c1-8997-7438d6355301
  9. storage space needed

storage space needed: help!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-space-needed/bcaf8037-b6bc-4346-a367-ae060f10fa59
  10. "Until space is needed" in File History does not work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    "Until space is needed" in File History does not work: "Until space is needed" in File History is selected but does not work. There is now 0 space free in the external drive. I have repeatedly had this problem. By the way, I have seen Microsoft suggest running SFC and DISM to solve this problem. I have run those and they have...