Windows 10: File icon showing over thumbnails in Windows 10

Discus and support File icon showing over thumbnails in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On Windows 10, I have an issue with a small white file icon showing over top of my Documents and Pictures folders, other folders within them, and on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by artomic, Dec 4, 2019.

1. artomic Win User

File icon showing over thumbnails in Windows 10

On Windows 10, I have an issue with a small white file icon showing over top of my Documents and Pictures folders, other folders within them, and on individual files (see screenshot below). In File Explorer Options, I've tried various combinations of checking/unchecking "Always show icons, never thumbnails" and "Display file icon on thumbnails", and nothing seems to take off those icons. I have my view setting at Medium Icons as shown below. If I go down to Details, the white file totally covers the thumbnail and I can't tell what are folders and what are files. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

File icon showing over thumbnails in Windows 10 5cf443d0-181a-46dc-a476-d80c1d2dd97f?upload=true.png

:)

artomic, Dec 4, 2019

2. Windows 10 showing device icons instead of thumbnails in folders

Hi me15prg9926,

There's a possibility that some folder settings may have changed. It could be set to show icons and not thumbnails. To verify that, please follow the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer.
    • Click the View tab.
    • On the upper-right corner, click Options.
    • On the Folder Options, click the View tab.
    • Under Files and Folders, uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, try checking if the folder icons are already showing thumbnails.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 4, 2019
  3. "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option not available

Hello,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the settings to view the thumbnails on the
    File Explorer of your Windows 10 computer may be caused by some configuration or programs that prevent Windows from working properly. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you manage the
    File Explorer settings and select the Always show icons, never thumbnails option. To do this, you may follow the step below:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and then press
      Enter.
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View
      tab.
    • Under the Advanced settings section, select the Always show icons, never thumbnails option.
    • Click the Apply > OK button to save the changes.
    • Once you’re done, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Icons and thumbnails not showing

Hi,

It is possible that icons and thumbnails are not showing due to corruptions. To assist you better, we'd like to ask if what troubleshooting steps have you done so far.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article by clicking on this

link
    . It will let you scan for corruptions and will provide you a remedy.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

1. File icon showing over thumbnails in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File icon showing

2. Only 2 files video show icon not thumbnail.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Only 2 files video show icon not thumbnail.: Good evening and thank you in advance for your time/expertise.Only two files video show icon, not thumbnail. I deleted and re-downloaded the files from Google Drive - twice.I reinstalled the program VideoLan VLC - twice. I cleared the cache with this programme:...
  3. Only 2 files video show icon not thumbnail.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only 2 files video show icon not thumbnail.: Good evening and thank you in advance for your time/expertise.Only two files video show icon, not thumbnail. I deleted and re-downloaded the files from Google Drive - twice.I reinstalled the program VideoLan VLC - twice. I cleared the cache with this programme:...
  4. Only 2 files video show icon not thumbnail.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...: Hello,In File Explorer, I usually enable the option to "Always show icons, never thumbnails", as I prefer a cleaner look when browsing my files/folders. However, I noticed when I do this, I am unable to see previews of images, such as screenshots .png, in the File Explorer...
  6. In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In File Explorer, is it possible to not show thumbnails for image file icons, but show the...: Hello,In File Explorer, I usually enable the option to "Always show icons, never thumbnails", as I prefer a cleaner look when browsing my files/folders. However, I noticed when I do this, I am unable to see previews of images, such as screenshots .png, in the File Explorer...
  7. Thumbnails not showing, only icons

Thumbnails not showing, only icons: Hi.I`ve tried all the recommendations that were on Google, and cant get the thumbnails to come back.All of these I`ve tried..............https://allthings.how/10-ways-to-fix-image-and-video-thumbnails-not-showing-problem-on-windows-10/Even asked "Bleeping Computer" forum...
  8. Windows icons missing and all files pictures are showing as thumbnails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows icons missing and all files pictures are showing as thumbnails: please excuse me from any errors im no computer wizard ! i noticed today that all my files pictures documents are all showing as thumbnails until selected then they open up as the picture or doc in a separate window. whilst searcing around the internet for solutions iv...
  9. Thumbnails showing only icon

Thumbnails showing only icon: Why do thumbnails of downloaded photos now show only the icon, not the picture? Can this be cured? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnails-showing-only-icon/fa5d3dc9-bd66-4142-8704-d8c8afc0bfba"
  10. Thumbnails showing as icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails showing as icons: Hi - I hope someone can help When I look at my phone image files through my laptop via USB MTP using Windows10 I can see some file thumbnails as images (those from the DCIM Android folders - DCM images and other JPG images transferred to my phone from my camera) but other...