Windows 10: File in use - please give proper information

Discus and support File in use - please give proper information in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When trying to delete a file, you might get an error: The action can't be completed because the file is in use by another program. Windows has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thanatica, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Thanatica Win User

File in use - please give proper information

When trying to delete a file, you might get an error:

The action can't be completed because the file is in use by another program.

Windows has always been geving the user that generic "can't do it" message since the very early beginnings of Windows 1.0.

Now, several decades later, it is time.

It is time to let the user know which program is using it. This is the first question every user will asked themselves when seeing this message.

- "File is in use! Please close the program using it!"

- "In use by what? Which program should I close then?!"

If Windows knows the file is in use, it must also know by whom or by what. I mean, Windows is the OS, the component in your pc that governs such low-level I/O things. It MUST know which programs are using which files. How can it NOT know this?!

PLEASE, MICROSOFT, for once, listen up. Change this error message so that it displays the program name (or AT LEAST the executable file, or even the PID, or SOMETHING), that has a file in use when trying an operation on it that can't be completed because it's in use.

Honestly, I'm just so sick and tired of having to look at this message, and just guess which program might be using that file. It should be dead simple to display what you already know!!

:)

Thanatica, Jul 17, 2019

2. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Jul 17, 2019
  3. rob909e Win User
    rob909e, Jul 17, 2019
  4. File in use - please give proper information

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

File in use - please give proper information

1. File in use - please give proper information - Similar Threads - File please proper

2. please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give...: please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give a solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-i-am-trying-to-delete-a-file-but-it-is/e0f49b8f-f112-4d87-b0be-9d1be7396577
  3. please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give...: please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give a solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-i-am-trying-to-delete-a-file-but-it-is/e0f49b8f-f112-4d87-b0be-9d1be7396577
  4. please i am trying to delete a file but it is giving error 0x8007016A please can you give...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Pchealthcheck gives incorrect information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pchealthcheck gives incorrect information: Hi I were trying to upgrade to windows 11 yesterday and now the secured boot is active and can't open the PC health check app but I have a secure boot and it says I can't install windows 11 because I don't have a secured boot. pls help also these are the system specsCPU:...
  6. Pchealthcheck gives incorrect information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pchealthcheck gives incorrect information: Hi I were trying to upgrade to windows 11 yesterday and now the secured boot is active and can't open the PC health check app but I have a secure boot and it says I can't install windows 11 because I don't have a secured boot. pls help also these are the system specsCPU:...
  7. Pchealthcheck gives incorrect information

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Storage information not appearing properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Storage information not appearing properly: According to my storage 77 apps and features are taking up 187 GBs of space but I summed up the amount that each app takes and I got around 2.9 GBs. Does anyone know what is happening and how can I get rid of the excess 184+ GBs?...
  9. Please Microsoft, give us better known issues information

in Windows 10 News
    Please Microsoft, give us better known issues information: If you have installed the October 2018 Update for Windows 10 already on your own machine or PCs that you administrate, you may have encountered a number of bugs in that particular version. Microsoft had to pull the update shortly after release in early October 2018; it took...
  10. GPU not being used properly, please help.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU not being used properly, please help.: Recently I've been trying to play games such as Rocket League, GTA5, Overwatch, Fortnite ect. I use to average about 150fps on Rocket League, Fortnite and Overwatch and about 70fps on GTA5. But now i cannot get above 20 consistently. I know that my PC is not using my...