Windows 10: File infotips on removable drives

Discus and support File infotips on removable drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I noticed that extended information in file infotips are not displayed on network drives in explorer. I guess that makes sense from a performance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hkrome, Dec 10, 2019.

1. hkrome Win User

File infotips on removable drives

I noticed that extended information in file infotips are not displayed on network drives in explorer. I guess that makes sense from a performance standpoint. Out of curiosity, why is extended tip information not displayed for files stored on removable media?

Infotip on a local disk:

File infotips on removable drives badbc197-4faa-47d6-9e00-7239815b92ae?upload=true.png

Infotip on a removable disk:

File infotips on removable drives 2f9d2df6-de7f-43c6-a091-6537f4e7c466?upload=true.png

Thanks!

:)

hkrome, Dec 10, 2019
  2. YannB_74 Win User

InfoTip for a file in a network drive

Can anybody explain me why after customization of the InfoTip of a file in the Registry (i.e. jpg image) I have a correct result as far as the file is local in my PC (including OneDrive) but is not applied for a file in my network drive. It is just as if
    it shows the default configuration of the InfoTip.

Sorry but it is not possible to make a screen capture.

For example in my PC I configured the InfoTip to show:

-Type of file

-Date taken for the Photo

-Dimensions of the Photo

-Size of the file

But in my network drive I only have what follows, despite my efforts to modify it:

-Type of File

-Size of file

-Date when modified

Thanks,

YB

YannB_74, Dec 10, 2019
  3. YannB_74 Win User

Hi Guy,

Nice to meet you again. Apparently no problems to continue in English.

No I did not try to reboot yet because I wanted to be sure if I was changing the right InfoTip. Hence my question on the forum to locate the place where the data, for the Infotip in case of a file from the network drive, is located.

In fact I made the changes in the InfoTip for the jpg files months ago and you can be sure that a lot of reboots happened since. However it is only few days ago that I discovered the discrepancy between the two drives. It is clear that the modifications
    that I made are not valid for the network file.

I worked on it for hours and gave up.

At the end I assumed that the following key was the one reflecting the InfoTip data that I had on the screen
    File infotips on removable drives d1a9f216-acac-43ac-883e-5b4d3491e8b9?upload=true.jpg

Then I modified the key (Infotip) and the likes like :Ordinateur\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\* with no success. And in fact the content of the InfoTip varies a little with the files on the network.

I thought of rebooting but I didn't and said to myself, go to the experts now after all that time spent on searching the internet and making trials in the registry.

Hope you can help or report this issue since it is bugging me and is not logical in Windows.

YB

YannB_74, Dec 10, 2019
  4. File infotips on removable drives

Hi YANNB_74

I am an independent advisor here to help

To my knowledge it is only possible to make this modification for files that are stored on the local drive. It would not apply to networked folders.

I do wonder though if you modified the InfoTip on the host PC, if it would 'transmit' the additional information for InfoTip to the PC from which you are accessing the networked folders

TechGuy_82, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

File infotips on removable drives

1. File infotips on removable drives - Similar Threads - File infotips removable

2. Corrupt File on C: Drive Unable To Be Removed!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt File on C: Drive Unable To Be Removed!: Hello,I recently put my PC to sleep, before that I had a Windows update ready to download but I hadn't done it yet. After I woke my PC up the monitors weren't displaying an image this happens to me sometimes when I put it to sleep so I did what I always do and let it sit for...
  3. Removing a corrupt file on an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing a corrupt file on an external drive: I have a corrupt file on a SanDisk drive that I need to erase. attached is an image of my problem. Can anyone suggest a way to remove this folder and file?...
  4. Removing a corrupt file on an external drive

Removing a corrupt file on an external drive: I have a corrupt file on a SanDisk drive that I need to erase. attached is an image of my problem. Can anyone suggest a way to remove this folder and file?...
  5. Hard Drive/Disk File Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive/Disk File Removal: Hello there. Writing because I purchased an external hard drive to get back into some old hard drive files. It works on two but on my last removal from a Toshiba- There is no info coming up. No x gb out of xgb available. When the drive is listed under my computer.What is this...
  6. Hard Drive/Disk File Removal

Hard Drive/Disk File Removal: Hello there. Writing because I purchased an external hard drive to get back into some old hard drive files. It works on two but on my last removal from a Toshiba- There is no info coming up. No x gb out of xgb available. When the drive is listed under my computer.What is this...
  7. Removing files from One Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing files from One Drive: I've just got a new PC and copied all my files from my external hard drive onto it. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the paths and they all went onto One Drive, which I don't want to use - I prefer to have control over my stuff, not send it into space! I deleted One...
  8. InfoTip for a file in a network drive

InfoTip for a file in a network drive: Can anybody explain me why after customization of the InfoTip of a file in the Registry (i.e. jpg image) I have a correct result as far as the file is local in my PC (including OneDrive) but is not applied for a file in my network drive. It is just as if it shows the default...
  9. Removing a file from one drive

Removing a file from one drive: I have a free one drive account. I made the mistake of adding my picture folder to one drive. Now I am almost out of space. I want to remove picture folder from one drive. I DO NOT want to remove the pictures from my computer. Since it was a very easy drag and drop solution...
  10. Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows: How to: Customize Shortcut Infotip Details in Windows How to Customize Details of Shortcut Infotips in Windows [img] Information When you hover over a shortcut of a file, folder, or drive in Windows, a pop-up description) will show displaying basic property details...