Windows 10: File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...

Discus and support File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I know that a particular file must be indexed correctly because I can as a test do a File Explorer search of the subfolder it is in, using an unusual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TF_950, Dec 31, 2019.

1. TF_950 Win User

File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...

I know that a particular file must be indexed correctly because I can as a test do a File Explorer search of the subfolder it is in, using an unusual name in the file's contents, and I can thereby produce that file name as a search result. So in general terms, indexing must be working properly.

So why is it that when I search entire the Documents folder for this same unusual name, I get no return really, just the green bar going slowly all the away across, except for the final X, and then I continue to see indefinitely the message "working on it".

For sure the search indexing function is searching subfolders because I can drag the target document down to a new lower level of subfolder, and I still get the correct file name returned.

The Documents folder is 41 GB, but 28 GB of that is Outlook files. Is the search process perhaps getting indefinitely delayed in the giant Outlook folder? Maybe, I just don't know. But to bypass the big Outlook folder in an indexed search, I would have to move it temporarily out of Documents as a workaround. I have not tried that because it seems like there should be a better and routine way to do a simple index search of the document folder, when you already know index searching is generally working correctly.

Is the search getting hung up because one particular Document subfolder lacks the system permission? I don't know if that happens, but it is a thought. Finding the problem subfolder does not sound like an easy task.

Bottom line: Indexing and indexed content searching is working well, except from the Documents folder level, which is often the most useful level because you don't have to try to figure out which subfolder a specific document content might be in.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or directions for the above problem definition, or perhaps is also experiencing it? Rebuilding the index does not seem to be the solution because indexing is working except for the entire documents folder.

:)

TF_950, Dec 31, 2019
  2. Jon Doe Win User

Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume

The drive letter wont show unless it was already mounted when the indexing service was started. Restarting the windows search service, either in services or using the command lines (as admin) in my original post, should make them show in the indexing options.

Searching in explorer does work but very slow, it takes several minutes if the file is in a sub-directory, it appears to be searching from scratch without using any kind of index.

Jon Doe, Dec 31, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Dec 31, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document...

Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume

Oddly I find the drive letter created by Truecrypt does not appear in the list of drives shown in Indexing Options, so I can't add it to be indexed, so you're doing better in that respect.

I'd suggest you experiment with file explorer: browse to your mounted Truecrypt drive, and see if you can then find a file instantly (i.e. indexed).

dalchina, Dec 31, 2019
Thema:

1. File is Indexed because it appears in subfolder search, but it does not appear in Document... - Similar Threads - File Indexed appears

2. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  3. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  4. .zip file appear as a blank document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .zip file appear as a blank document: I just cleaned my computer recently, and when I zip a file, I noticed it doesn't appear as the normal zip file. When I click on it, it ask for another third party apps? I can't click on it and click Extract on top like the normal one...
  5. My external drive does not appear on the desktop, does not appear in searches but is in the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My external drive does not appear on the desktop, does not appear in searches but is in the...: Hi, My external drive does not appear on the desktop, does not appear in searches but is in the device manager. How do i make it appear on my desktop. Note: "I hate windows 10" has 120 user names and "windows 10 is ****" has 461 usernames in this community. I am trying it...
  6. A txt file keep appearing in My Documents.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A txt file keep appearing in My Documents.: It's been happening for a while and I'm not sure what it is but txt files keep appearing in My Documents. At the moment there a four of them named:- drag-and-drop-1593438090635.txt drag-and-drop-1593516952752.txt drag-and-drop-1593517159946.txt...
  7. "Registration Entries" file appeared in my Documents

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Registration Entries" file appeared in my Documents: I have Windows 10 Version 1909. A file called cc_20200107_112022 (type Registration Entries) appeared somehow in my Documents directory. I have no idea what it is. I have scanned it both with Malwarebytes & McAfee, showing no issues with either scan. When I double click it...
  8. How to fix Windows 10 Search Index that does not appear to relocate?

in Cortana
    How to fix Windows 10 Search Index that does not appear to relocate?: How do I fix the Windows 10 Search Index that does not appear to relocate? I had the index on a non-OS hard drive and used Indexing Options to point to a new folder on a SSD. When I boot the pc, the old folder on the hard drive is recreated. I checked the path in Indexing...
  9. Delted word Document and can't recover because it doesn't appear in recover documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delted word Document and can't recover because it doesn't appear in recover documents: So basically I was in class and was taking notes and writing my final. I have the tendency to just close my computer without saving things, so when I opened it back up I noticed my file wasn't saved and went through the process of trying to recover it, but there was nothing...
  10. Document shortcuts not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Document shortcuts not appearing: Hi, a number of us have had this issue for a month or two, following some kind of update. We are finding it highly frustrating that we can no longer access recent or even specific pinned documents from the taskbar - which also applies to file explorer even more annoyingly....