Windows 10: File is open in system / locked for editing

Discus and support File is open in system / locked for editing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm sorry if this is not categorized correctly as there were several ways I could think of to categorize it give him the drop-down options asking this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by d4nd4m4n, Aug 21, 2019.

1. d4nd4m4n Win User

File is open in system / locked for editing

I'm sorry if this is not categorized correctly as there were several ways I could think of to categorize it give him the drop-down options asking this question File is open in system / locked for editing :).

I have a simple home style network setup with Windows 10 running on the machine that is sharing the drive. All people who access the drive simply have the same workgroup on their computer and I have the drive shared.

A particular user on a computer who accesses the drive goes to save a file and it only allows to save a duplicate because it says the existing file is in use by her. The file cannot be deleted and says that ... ".doc is locked for editing by (her computer login ID).

If I go to the computer that is hosting the file and try to delete it it says that "the file is open in system".

She does not have the file open and if I reboot her computer it DOES NOT FIX the problem.

If I reboot the server / host computer, THIS DOES FIX the problem.

I'm looking for:

1) A solution besides rebooting the server/host computer that fixes the problem.

2) Ideally a solution that will prevent it from happening ever again, so that nothing has to be done at all. Perhaps there is a setting i can turn off/on with the server / host to prevent it from happening at all.

:)

d4nd4m4n, Aug 21, 2019
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Aug 21, 2019
  3. OrbitzXT Win User
    AutoCAD 2012 Locks Up When Opened

This problem randomly began yesterday, I tried to open a DWG file to edit and it opened, but when I tried to do anything the program froze. I tried opening it on another computer and the same exact thing happened. But what confuses me is that my AutoCAD seems to have a problem in general now. If I even just open the program and not a drawing, that locks up as well. I've tried reinstalling and this doesn't fix the issue.

I'm not sure how many AutoCAD users there are on the forum here but if anyone has a suggestion I'm open to it.

OrbitzXT, Aug 21, 2019
  4. File is open in system / locked for editing

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

File is open in system / locked for editing

1. File is open in system / locked for editing - Similar Threads - File open system

2. i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files: i recently upgraded to windows 10 by installing a new ssd and got rid of old partition of the old drive and after installation when i try to open some files in my old drive i cant access any of them neither any of them are corrupted but i think some certificate issue has...
  3. i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files: i recently upgraded to windows 10 by installing a new ssd and got rid of old partition of the old drive and after installation when i try to open some files in my old drive i cant access any of them neither any of them are corrupted but i think some certificate issue has...
  4. File is locked for editing by "another user"

File is locked for editing by "another user": Users reported that files are locked for editing by "another user", but actually no one is using those files.We are using the NetApp OnTapp File server and they said that it is not a storage issue.How can we solve the issue?...
  5. Editing system files with custom editor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Editing system files with custom editor: Some files like .bat, .ps1, .reg have edit action in file context menu. When I click on it I can edit the file in notepad. Can I make any change in registry so that I can make the file open in my custom editor(i.e notepad++) when I click on edit button?? submitted by...
  6. Opening "locked for editing" documents

Opening "locked for editing" documents: Many documents in my files show up as “locked for editing…” and display 3 choices for opening them. Why does this so often happen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-locked-for-editing-documents/13ab267e-3c18-4488-bfe4-62fef8314b29"
  7. How to Open and Edit .wlmp files?

How to Open and Edit .wlmp files?: I have some video projects I had saved as .wlmp files in Windows Movie Maker. However, now that I have upgraded to Windows 10, I no longer have Windows Movie Maker, and it seems I cannot download it. Is there another program I can use to open my .wlmp files and edit them,...
  8. Files Locked for editing by "another user". But no one has the file open.

Files Locked for editing by "another user". But no one has the file open.: Recently, files shared by a smll group of 6 people are constantly locked for editing because they are open by another user. however, no one has the file open and we are forced to restart the host computer to allow access. This just started about 3 weeks ago and it has...
  9. Permission to open and edit files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permission to open and edit files: I am the only user of my home laptop. I log in as Administrator and want to open files I set up as User but am denied permission. How can I gain permission to view and edit them as Administrator?...
  10. file system is not opened

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file system is not opened: why does it say file system is not open when i try to save something https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/file-system-is-not-opened/5fb9d779-cdd5-4308-ac91-9a0bfa2ba10e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwp.exe for editing windows could not open