Windows 10: "File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue

Discus and support "File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I keep experiencing issues when I want to delete, move, rename, etc. files that were recently opened or used by a program. This continues despite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TimTessnow, Nov 24, 2020.

1. "File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue

Hi,

I keep experiencing issues when I want to delete, move, rename, etc. files that were recently opened or used by a program. This continues despite the fact that this file had been closed for a long time. Nothing I tried seems to help, not even switching off the internet.

Background:

- I use One-Drive, but I also keep all files on-location laptop disk.

- Before I open any file, the status is displayed as the regular green icon with a white checkmark.

- The moment I use this file, I cannot do anything with it after I closed it.

- Restarting the computer helps, but when I try to organize my files, I cannot spend hours and hours to do so, just because I can't delete files.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance,

T

:)

TimTessnow, Nov 24, 2020
  2. eliuri Win User

OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files

ok...I got that part now about files needing to be in the local OneDrive folder in order to synch automatically..Though it seems i cant upload any files from my pc to my online OneDrive. Even those in the OneDrive local folders

There still remains the issue of those Protected Folders-Desktop and Documents-not synching as they should--as suggested by that screenshot-whereby I cannot stop and start the synching process. The Desktop and Documents rectangles remain not selected--regardless of what I do

eliuri, Nov 24, 2020
  3. Can't stop large Outlook 2016 files from synching with OneDrive

Hi There,
    I have 17 large outlook 2016 files ranging from 1GB to 10 GB. I initially put them into my OneDrive folder and identified them for synching. Bad mistake because it takes days to upload files of this size and every time that I start Outlook, the Synch for all files restart from zero because the files all open when Outlook starts.
    So, I thought I would remove them from the Synch and got the attached error.

"File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue [​IMG]

Basically it seems to being saying that I can't remove them from the Synch until they have fully uploaded which isn't possible as it would take a week for that to happen.
    Help please?
    Thanks
    Paul

stevenson53, Nov 24, 2020
  4. "File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue

onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

"File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue

1. "File is open in [...]" when it's clearly not - Synch OneDrive - Productivity issue - Similar Threads - File open clearly

2. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  3. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop synching of files in OneDrive: OneDrive has the extremely annoying habit of INSTANTLY starting the synch after a fresh install, and then refusing the disabling of certain folder. Example: I have a 300 GB disk, and if I'm unlucky then OneDrive will start a 600GB folder download. Can't stop synching this...
  4. Stop synching of files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.: I have copied a large video file 35GB that has been successfully synced with OneDrive in the cloud OnLine. I see the all files are uptodate message. When I then add other photos that start synching, this file starts synching againg. This has happened more than ten times. The...
  6. OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive synch keeps re-synching large file.: I have copied a large video file 35GB that has been successfully synced with OneDrive in the cloud OnLine. I see the all files are uptodate message. When I then add other photos that start synching, this file starts synching againg. This has happened more than ten times. The...
  7. OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud

OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud: I have Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and any trying to use OneDrive to store my folders and files online and automatically back them up as I modify the copy of the file stored on my harddrive.I uploaded them to the cloud successfully, but when I modify the file on my hard drive...
  8. OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud: I have Windows 10, Microsoft 365 and any trying to use OneDrive to store my folders and files online and automatically back them up as I modify the copy of the file stored on my harddrive.I uploaded them to the cloud successfully, but when I modify the file on my hard drive...
  9. OneDrive not Synch File to Cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Synching jpg files to OneDrive

Synching jpg files to OneDrive: I am having trouble getting my files/folders to synch to OneDrive. They just say "synch pending". Is there a limit as to the size of a folder that can be sychned? Do I need to try to synch just one file at a time? They are jpg files. Thanks...