Windows 10: File is visible on network but not readable or writtable.

Discus and support File is visible on network but not readable or writtable. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I moved from windows 7 to window 10 about a month ago, and been fighting with windows 10 networking system. I have a computer that set apart for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Khalil Pierre, Feb 9, 2020.

1. File is visible on network but not readable or writtable.

I moved from windows 7 to window 10 about a month ago, and been fighting with windows 10 networking system. I have a computer that set apart for storing all the files I needwindows 10. When I access the computer through the network on my computeralso windows 10, I'm able to access it, view inside folders, and see the files. However, when attempting to open the files, I'm getting errors saying, "Cannot access or read file".

What's going on? The files also have an X icon next to them. Here is a picture:

File is visible on network but not readable or writtable. c56bfda3-90a4-4a61-8197-58a5d31f7702?upload=true.png

:)

Khalil Pierre, Feb 9, 2020

2. My computer is not visible on network

Resetting the network settings may help reconfigure settings that may help resolve the issue. Since the issue still persists, we suggest checking the Advance sharing settings if network discovery is turned on. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Network and Internet.
    • Click Network and Sharing Center.
    • Click Change advanced sharing settings in the left pane.
    • Under the Private section, make sure that Turn on network discovery is selected.
    • Click Save changes.
    Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you further.

Martin Bar, Feb 9, 2020
  3. DaleNoel Win User
    Win 10 Network Printer Connection Problem

I have tried, when using the wifi from a Win 7 computer to connect to the printer connected to it. Others can connect.

I did do the three steps outlined:

• Open File Explorer. Pick the "Network" icon from the left pane (navigation pane) of the file explorer UI.
    • If sharing is turned off you will see a pale yellow line towards the top of the window that states "Network Discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change...".
    • Click this bar and select "Turn on network discovery and file sharing"

None of the suggestion worked.

I did notice that the PC I'm connecting to is 'Private' while I am listed as 'Public'.

• Can this be causing the problem?
    • Are there other suggestions?

I need to be connected to use the other printer so work flow can not be disrupted and someone else needs to print the file for me.

I will be with this group again on Monday.

Thank you.

DaleNoel, Feb 9, 2020
  4. hpup10 Win User

File is visible on network but not readable or writtable.

PCs no longer visible on Network after auto Windows Updates 10 Pro

I have 8 computers on a Network running MS Windows 10 Pro and all of them access a shared folder on a server computer. Now, 2 of the computers are no longer visible on the network after MS updated the computers during the night. The Windows Updates were:
    Update for Windows 10 V1607 KB3211320
    Update for Adobe Flash Windows V10 1607
    Feature Update for Windows 10 v1607

For example, using Windows File Explorer, I would click on "Network" and it would list all of the computers on our network. At that point I would click on the "Server" computer and a list of the folders that I have access to would be displayed. Now, the Server computer is no longer visible on the network using Windows File Explorer. I am confident that the culprit is Windows automatic update because this happened once before on another machine and the problem was resolved after I removed the MS updates.

Does can anyone suggest a solution to my problem which doesn't involve removing the updates? I am reluctant to remove the updates again because I know it is important to remain current and I am worried a subsequent update will cause a repeat of the problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

hpup10, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

File is visible on network but not readable or writtable.

1. File is visible on network but not readable or writtable. - Similar Threads - File visible network

2. Network not visible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network not visible: So, unc paths are not resolving anymore. Just started happening.Windows 11EG: \\server\share will not show anything.Other machines can see the share just fine. Quite a problem happening on the Admins computer.any suggestions ?NOTE: Most of the suggestions have already been...
  3. Network not visible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network not visible: So, unc paths are not resolving anymore. Just started happening.Windows 11EG: \\server\share will not show anything.Other machines can see the share just fine. Quite a problem happening on the Admins computer.any suggestions ?NOTE: Most of the suggestions have already been...
  4. xlr files open but not readable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    xlr files open but not readable: xlr files open but not readable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xlr-files-open-but-not-readable/daebf949-c55b-4771-a1b0-523082372696
  5. Network visibility

Network visibility: Just got a new modem and my W10 won't see it but does see some others. What can I do? I have rebooted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-visibility/c79d97d3-c6c8-4348-b742-5feced4ce874
  6. Network devices not visible

Network devices not visible: I've searched the internet over and taken heed of all advice given, implemented most of the most common fixes and I can't find a solution. I have 2 desktops, a laptop all Win 10 with latest updates AFAIK, a Buffalo NAS box and an HP laser printer on my home network. The...
  7. Readable File Backup

Readable File Backup: I am setting up a new computer. In the past I have used SyncToy to back up files to an external hard drive, but I understand that it won't work with Windows 10 any longer because an older .net version is required for SyncToy. I do not want to use cloud services. What...
  8. Wireless Network not visible

Wireless Network not visible: Hello, I have searched the community site and have not found this problem elsewhere. I work in an office with several people. For whatever reason, I cannot see the corporate wireless network in my list of available networks. This morning I was sitting in a conference...
  9. Computer 1 visible to network but network not visible to Computer 1

Computer 1 visible to network but network not visible to Computer 1: I have a simple home network with multiple devices connected to it. On the network I have have several external hard drives connected thru my ASUS router. These hard drives are visible to all computers on the network with the exception of a laptop running Windows 10. All...
  10. printer visibility on network

printer visibility on network: this is a problem which has just cropped up after years of no problem. hp4630 printer connected to network acer aspire laptop connected to network but when i try to print, the laptop thinks the printer is "offline". even though it's not. please advise. thank you....