Windows 10: File Location

Discus and support File Location in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After a clean install of Win10, I'm looking at the apps that are installed by default. There are a lot of apps that are 16 KB in file size (3D Viewer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ZippityDooDoo, Nov 28, 2019.

1. File Location

After a clean install of Win10, I'm looking at the apps that are installed by default. There are a lot of apps that are 16 KB in file size (3D Viewer, App Installer, etc). I don't see how they could possibly 16 KB, and it would make more sense that these are mere shortcuts to the actual apps. So my question is, where do those apps live? I can't find them.

And, happy Thanksgiving.

submitted by /u/ZippityDooDoo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ZippityDooDoo, Nov 28, 2019

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 28, 2019
  3. How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Nov 28, 2019
  4. DCEd Win User

File Location

How do I locate/ extract the imagex.exe file?

To try and keep a long story as short as possible:

I'm trying to install Win 10 on an external SSD, which I can boot on my MacBook Pro.

To complete the installation I have downloaded:
    - install.esd and converted it to install.wim
    - Windows 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft
    - Boot Camp drivers from Apple

The final piece of the puzzle is to complete this step:

• Windows AIK (free) running on your Virtual Machine or on your PC, or just the imagex.exe file (the rest of the Windows AIK package is not needed)

This is to complete this final stage of the installation:

Step 3: Deploy the Windows installation image

1. Still using the command prompt in admin mode (you didn't close it, did you? *Wink ), locate the imagex.exe file mentioned in the "What you'll need" section and access its folder. In our example, we have put this file in C:\imagex\imagex.exe
    2. Your Windows installation ISO has probably several installation options in it. So in order to identify the right one, type in the following:imagex.exe /info C:\wim\install.wim
    3. Now identify the INDEX number of the installation that you wish to deploy. You will use it in the next step.
    4. Type the following and hit enter. Replace 1 with the INDEX you identified in the previous step. Also remember to replace o: with the letter you have chosen in the previous step:imagex.exe /apply C:\wim\install.wim 1 o:
      This will take some time. The Windows installation image is being deployed to your external drive
    5. Once done, type the following to create the boot section (remember to replace o: and b: with the letters you've chosen in the previous step)File Location :eek::\windows\system32\bcdboot o:\windows /f ALL /s b:

I'm doing this on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7.
      I've also purchased a genuine license for Windows 10 Pro.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thema:

File Location

1. File Location - Similar Threads - File Location

2. Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!: I discovered like so many others that searching for some keyword text in files in a non-indexed folder in Windows 11 DID NOT WORK.Lots of threads posted, lot's of suggested "solutions", lot's of frustrated Windows 11 users trying those "solutions/fixed" and still the...
  3. Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Searching non-indexed locations for file contents - SOLUTION!: I discovered like so many others that searching for some keyword text in files in a non-indexed folder in Windows 11 DID NOT WORK.Lots of threads posted, lot's of suggested "solutions", lot's of frustrated Windows 11 users trying those "solutions/fixed" and still the...
  4. How do I find a file that is no longer in its location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find a file that is no longer in its location?: I tried to organise my USB drive into folders. I added some files from my laptop over to the drive to organise and when I did, I saw that the folders I just organised are empty.I found some of the missing files in my recents in file explorer but not everything and I can't...
  5. How do I find a file that is no longer in its location?

How do I find a file that is no longer in its location?: I tried to organise my USB drive into folders. I added some files from my laptop over to the drive to organise and when I did, I saw that the folders I just organised are empty.I found some of the missing files in my recents in file explorer but not everything and I can't...
  6. How do I find a file that is no longer in its location?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.: I downloaded OneDrive to try it out. However, I do not like how all the files have been pulled into a master OneDrive folder on my computer, and want everything returned to how I had it prior. Is there a "return all files to previous location" button, or do I have to do all...
  8. Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.: I downloaded OneDrive to try it out. However, I do not like how all the files have been pulled into a master OneDrive folder on my computer, and want everything returned to how I had it prior. Is there a "return all files to previous location" button, or do I have to do all...
  9. Temporarily activated OneDrive. Need my files put back to original locations.

10. After repair of Office Word why can't MS 365 locate or open Office Word files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After repair of Office Word why can't MS 365 locate or open Office Word files?: MS 365 will not open Office Word files. Word files do not even appear when searching for them with 365. When I click "open with" on the Word file 365 does not appear. I repaired the Microsoft Office Word program but nothing has changed. What now?...