Windows 10: File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates?

Discus and support File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm currently completing a project that involves managing thousands of files. I have a couple questions, curiosities that would help me out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MobileCAD MDC, Apr 9, 2019.

1. File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates?

Hello,

I'm currently completing a project that involves managing thousands of files.

I have a couple questions, curiosities that would help me out heaps if someone knows that these are possible actions. File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates? :)

1. I'm wondering if there is a way using Windows (or alternatively with a 3rd party software) to temporarily cut/copy and paste files in one location and then be able to return them.

Similar to if you were to send files to the recycle bin and then "put back".

I want to be able to search for a term, say "OAK" and find files within subfolders, move them to work on them & then be able to return each of these files to the respective subfolders they came from without individually dragging them back in.

2. I'm also wondering if it is possible to create duplicates from a search, in a similar way to the previous example, could I search for "OAK" in subfolders, find the files and then duplicate them all within their respective folders?

Thanks heaps!

:)

MobileCAD MDC, Apr 9, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Apr 9, 2019
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Finding duplicate files

For images, I love DupDetector
    https://www.keronsoft.com/dupdetector.html

It's cool and special because it matches images and photos by content (like Google can search for similar images) and not filename or date. You can even adjust the sensitivity. It'll find identical images across different file formats as well as different resolutions/sizes. So you can weed out low resolution duplicates of higher res images or simply actually the same duplicate images.

RejZoR, Apr 9, 2019
  4. oily_17 Win User

File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates?

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates?

1. File Management, moving files temporarily? creating duplicates? - Similar Threads - File Management moving

2. Duplicate OneDrive References in File Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate OneDrive References in File Manager: I opended HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace and there are no multiple file names under Namespace. I aslo seaarched for System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree but did not find a reference to any OneDrive. One Onedrive folder is...
  3. Duplicate OneDrive References in File Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate OneDrive References in File Manager: I opended HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace and there are no multiple file names under Namespace. I aslo seaarched for System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree but did not find a reference to any OneDrive. One Onedrive folder is...
  4. Find & Move Duplicate Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Find & Move Duplicate Files: Files are in multiple folders on multiple external hard disk drives, 25x5 TB = 125 TB Tried, ABC Compare, & Anti Twin, Software but doesn’t work over multiple HDD's, only searches one drive. Someone said may need to plug all 25 external drives into PC and set up a raid...
  5. How to move big files temporarily?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move big files temporarily?: I currently have win10 home and bought a Windows 10 pro key which can't upgrade my current version. So I will have to install win10 pro which will make all my current files disappear. I wonder how can I still keep them cause I have around 800gb data. Are there some services...
  6. Auto duplicating action on file copy/move

Auto duplicating action on file copy/move: Hello, a problem happens with me many times in the latest version of Windows 10 and in older versions as well. When copying/ moving files Windows asks me what to do with files with same name that do already exist. Write over/ skip/ add both. This is the normal situation....
  7. Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder

Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder: When I create a new file in a child folder in my "This PC" parent folder, the file is automatically also created in a child folder in my "One Drive" parent folder. As a result, I essentially am doubling the storage usage on my PC. Similarly, if I delete a file from my "One...
  8. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803. ***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, &...
  9. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....
  10. duplicate folder created with hidden files,unable to see the files

in Windows 10 Support
    duplicate folder created with hidden files,unable to see the files: hi please help,i cant see the files the folder called naksatra,the system created duplicate folder with 0 files in it whereas i cant see the files in the folder where the properties showed i have 473 mb files. 86597