Windows 10: File management with two internal hard drives

Discus and support File management with two internal hard drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My computer has two internal hard drives, a SSD for the operating system Windows 10 and a larger hard drive for storage of files. What is the best and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Richard B2017, Jun 4, 2020.

1. File management with two internal hard drives

My computer has two internal hard drives, a SSD for the operating system Windows 10 and a larger hard drive for storage of files. What is the best and safest way to change the location of the User Data Folders to the larger drive? Before buying this computer I was told it was easy to do, but now I'm reading that it can damage the operating system and make it impossible to run updates, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The following response was provided several years ago, but applies to partitioning the hard drive. That is not the situation I am writing about.

---------

What you want to do is an excellent idea and it's easy to do. In fact, it's supported by Microsoft. A few details and then you're on your way. And remember - in Windows there's usually more than one way to accomplish a task

1- You can't move every folder in your user profile to a separate partition. Some folders need to stay in C: Here are the folders you can safely move, and they're the only ones you really need to move: Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures and Video

2- Before you start, setup blank folders for the above in the new partition. Think about how you want to do this. For example, do you want each of your folders to be a sub-folder of the root folder? Or do you want to create a separate folder for each user account and make the new folders as subfolders of the user account folder?

3- Each folder is moved the same way:

a Right-click on the folder and from the context menu select Properties

b Go to the Location tab

c In the text box, type the path of the new folder. No mistakes!

d Click on the Move button.

Two things will happen: 1 Windows will move all the contents from the old folder to the new folder and 2 Windows will mark the new folder as the default save location for your Documents, Music, Videos, etc. as the case may be.

That's it. You're done. This works beautifully. But - there's always a but - there are some details you should know.

4- You may still see these folders in your C: drive, even after everything's been moved. Not to worry. Windows recreates those folders for old and poorly written software that is hard coded to look in the C: drive. This will almost never be an issue.

5- If you go to Settings > System > Storage and look under Save Locations you'll notice that - holy cripes - all folders at still set to save to the C: drive. Again, not to worry. This is merely an interface problem. Everything will be saved by default to the new partition.

And finally:

6- The new folders in the new drive may inherit their file access permissions from the root of the new drive. This might be just fine for you. But if it's not - if you want to change the file access permissions - then for all that is holy do extensive research on this before you begin. File access permissions are very, very complicated.

Now that your computer is setup the smart way, keep the brilliance coming by backing up your system partition and your data partition separately. That way, if you have to restore your system partition you won't affect your data. Genius!

:)

Richard B2017, Jun 4, 2020

2. Internal hard drive

I have an internal hard drive, that I installed over a year ago. It is no longer listed in "This Computer. " It is only a year or 2 old. before I replace it is there a way to look for it in file management. Maybe a windows update changed a setting?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC]

ChuckCarter_903, Jun 4, 2020
  3. malware Win User
    Seagate Extends Warranty on Maxtor Internal Hard Drives

Seagate Technology, the worldwide leader in hard disc drives and consumer storage solutions, today announced a three-year limited warranty, effective immediately, on every Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit that is now shipping worldwide. Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits are designed for users who want to replace or upgrade their internal hard drives in their PC or Mac. This move shows Seagate's continued commitment to its retail customers, giving them more storage choices, while providing best-in-class warranty protection, service and support on the world's most reliable hard drives. The new three-year limited warranty applies retroactively to all Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Kits in retail channel inventory, or purchased by consumers on or after October 1, 2006.

For early shoppers, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit is a perfect gift for that special someone who wants to upgrade their computer hard drive, giving it more capacity and the speed needed for demanding multimedia applications such as games and video. Consumers looking to upgrade to the premium version of Microsoft Windows Vista will also require more than 10GB of free hard drive space to load the operating system, and will need faster data transfer rates to obtain and enjoy a best-in-class computing experience from Microsoft.

This holiday season, digital cameras are also expected to be one of the hottest gift items according to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). With this, consumers will be shooting more and more digital photos and downloading them on to their internal computer hard drive. Topping off at 500GB, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit not only satisfies the needs of this storage-intensive application, but also provides ample capacity for downloading the Internet's media-rich content such as music, video, photos, files and games. With Maxtor Retail Hard Drives by Seagate, consumers can rest assured in knowing that their data is stored on a trusted and reliable hard drive.

"Whether it's an internal hard drive or a simple to use external storage and backup solution, Seagate has a product for everyone," said Jim Druckrey, senior vice president and general manager for Seagate Branded Solutions. "Our Maxtor Branded Retail Kits include an industry leading drive manufactured by Seagate, giving consumers the quality assurance and reliability the industry has come to expect from Seagate. The positive response we have received from our retail partners is a testament to their confidence in our ability to deliver products that blend value, innovative storage technology and reliability."

Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits come in capacities up to 500GB and include components users need to install the new hard drive - mounting screws, a PATA or SATA cable and step-by-step instructions, making it easy to upgrade their PC or Mac. Maxtor Hard Drive Retail Kits are available at retailers worldwide. Suggested retail price ranges from $79.95 for 80GB to $239.95 for 500GB. For more information, please visit www.maxtorsolutions.com.

Source: Seagate

malware, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

File management with two internal hard drives

File History no longer sees internal hard drive

Hi Derek,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

If you are unable to see that drive, I would suggest you to check if it listed in Disk Management utility. Refer to these steps:

a) Press
    Windows key +X, select Disk management.

b) In the new Window, check if the E drive is listed.

c) If it is not listed, please check if you are able to see any other partition with a different letter assigned to it or if there is any other partition
    with unallocated space.

Please get back to us with this information so that we can assist you further.

Jessen P, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

File management with two internal hard drives

1. File management with two internal hard drives - Similar Threads - File management internal

2. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  3. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  4. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    two hard drives: 1 ssd with windows 10 os. 1 ssd with windows 7os. When windows 10 updates and restarts it corrupts the boot configuration for these drives to the extent that windows 10 will not boot and the repair disk can not fix it. I have had to reinstall windows twice now is there a...
  6. How to install two windows 10 OS in two seperate internal hard drives and keep files seperate?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install two windows 10 OS in two seperate internal hard drives and keep files seperate?: Hi I am planning to install an additional internal SSD in a laptop running windows 10. I have purchased an additional Win 10 Home OS for the second drive and want to set up dual booting. Can this work with both drives running Windows 10 with seperate licences? My intention...
  7. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  8. File history - second internal hard drive

File history - second internal hard drive: I have a C drive and a D drive, both internal hard drives. File History is backing up the contents of the D drive, but when I go to the "Restore Files From a Current Backup" function, only the C drive files are shown. I can see from looking at the contents of the external...
  9. Two Internal Hard Drives, OneDrive, and Windows Reset

Two Internal Hard Drives, OneDrive, and Windows Reset: I have C: and D: drives. C: is where Windows resides and D: is where OneDrive files reside. If I reset Windows, will I need to delete the OneDrive files or will OneDrive match the files upon location change during set up?...
  10. Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive: I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned...