Windows 10: File manager extremely slow on Win 11 and Win 10

Discus and support File manager extremely slow on Win 11 and Win 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've a desktop on which I have Win 11 pro 22H2 and my sister has a laptop on which Win 10 was upgraded to the 21H2 version which I don't really know if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Shotokhan, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Shotokhan Win User

File manager extremely slow on Win 11 and Win 10

I've a desktop on which I have Win 11 pro 22H2 and my sister has a laptop on which Win 10 was upgraded to the 21H2 version which I don't really know if it's stil Win 10 or 11. The problem is that at a certain point after some hours Windows slows down a lot, you can't even open the START menu without waiting minutes.I installed Win 11 less than 10 days ago and I thought it was because of some messed up update, I deleted the last one from WinRE KB5022360 and this problem didn't show for few days. I thought I had solved. Yesterday it happened again! It is not an hardware problem because befor

:)

Shotokhan, Feb 3, 2023

2. Win 11 computers cannot network but Win 10 can

I have 3 desktop computers that I need on my home network. Initially, Computer 1 has Win 10 Pro, Computer 2 has Win 10 Pro, and Computer 3 has Win 11 Pro. All three talked to each other, shared files etc.

I then upgraded Computer 2 to Win 11 Pro.

Now, Computer 1 (Win 10) can communicate with Computer’s 2 (Win 11 Pro) and 3 (Win 11 Pro) and Computer’s 2 and 3 can also communicate with Computer 1, but I cannot get Computer’s 2 and 3 (Both Win 11 Pro) to communicate. The only change made was the upgrade on Computer 2 so it’s likely the problem.

I have tried everything I can find to try:

1. Clear all credentials from Credential Manager
    2. Disable Credential Manager Service automatic Startup
    3. Turn off password-protected sharing
    4. Modify Local Security Policy
    5. Add the credentials in Credentials Manager
    6. Set IP address to automatic
    7. Change Network Profile to Private
    8. SMB Direct checked
    9. SMB 1.0/CIFS Client checked
    10. All three boxes checked under SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support checked and unchecked

Most procedures are repeated on most web sites and I still get the Credential required screen.

I’m considering reverting back to Win 10 Pro on computer 2 as a last resort.

David Wyatt1, Feb 3, 2023
  3. How in WIN 11 do I change the drive letter of the CD/ROM drive?

Thanks, Greg.

So this is what worked, step by step.

Reboot

Drive is listed as E: in file explorer.

Drive not listed in Disk Management.

Insert DVD, it plays after short pause.

Disk management now shows Audio CD as E:

Right click, change letter to R: (while playing!)

Reboot.

Drive now shows as BD-RE drive as R: in File Explorer.

The bottom line is

- File Explorer does not provide for changing drive letter afics.

- Disk Management seems to need a disk to be in the drive for it to "see" the drive. I can't recall is this is Win 10 behaviour

I don't recall having any difficulty with this in Win 10 (its possible that the Win 10 default drive allocation was "after" my external drives; or I "just changed it").

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

RichardFlack, Feb 3, 2023
  4. DJG
    DJG Win User

Switching from Win 10 to Win 11

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be getting new MB and CPU when I move to Win11. And I always do system volume image backups after I successfully update Windows so no problem there *Smile.

Cheers!

Thema:

1. File manager extremely slow on Win 11 and Win 10 - Similar Threads - File manager extremely

2. File Manager Display in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager Display in Win 11: I seem to have a suspicious dll file probably downloaded from a PDF site which has now disappeared from the display, how do I make the initial GUI display longer to scan it with my Internet Security Software....
  3. File Manager Display in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Manager Display in Win 11: I seem to have a suspicious dll file probably downloaded from a PDF site which has now disappeared from the display, how do I make the initial GUI display longer to scan it with my Internet Security Software....
  4. File manager extremely slow on Win 11 and Win 10

File manager extremely slow on Win 11 and Win 10: I've a desktop on which I have Win 11 pro 22H2 and my sister has a laptop on which Win 10 was upgraded to the 21H2 version which I don't really know if it's stil Win 10 or 11. The problem is that at a certain point after some hours Windows slows down a lot, you can't even...
  5. Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11: I recently built a new system with a hardware combo for WIN 11, and moved my old hard disks over to the new system. During the change, I could not boot to my old boot drive due to it being NTFS. I used a new SSD and was able to get it formatted and installed windows there,...
  6. Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11

Encrypted Files - Win 10 to Win 11: I recently built a new system with a hardware combo for WIN 11, and moved my old hard disks over to the new system. During the change, I could not boot to my old boot drive due to it being NTFS. I used a new SSD and was able to get it formatted and installed windows there,...
  7. Win 10 File Manager NO Extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 File Manager NO Extensions: This evening I attempted to download some @live.com emails to a folder on my pc, while attempting to do this, I looked at my file manager to see what was downloaded. I noticed there were no file extensions on any of the documents i.e. .doc, dox. It's gone with v. win 10. I...
  8. Windows File Manager extremely slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Manager extremely slow: I am experiencing very slow access to my files and folders when I try to open File Manager. I have the File Manager icon in my taskbar and have a series of my own folders pinned to this icon. When I click to open a folder, it opens pretty quickly but if I then click on a...
  9. WIN 10 Microsoft Store EXTREMELY slow download.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    WIN 10 Microsoft Store EXTREMELY slow download.: I bought Forza Horizon 3 and it just won't download like any other app. Its always "In Queue" or it says "starting download" but after a while, it seems like the download starts. But only with 0-100kbit/s. I have a 1Gbit download speed when I do a speedtest. And the store...
  10. Win 10 File Manager Shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 File Manager Shutdowns: Experiencing shutdowns of File Manager when creating, deleting or renaming folders. System Information Application Error events record as follows: 07/10/2020 15:49 Application Error Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp:...