Windows 10: File Manager missing mkv video specs

Discus and support File Manager missing mkv video specs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i had to reinstall Windows 10 recently but with MKV files it no longer displays the specs in the Details Pane likeeg 1080 x 720 25fps bitrate HVEC all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkPerry2, Feb 22, 2024.

1. File Manager missing mkv video specs

i had to reinstall Windows 10 recently but with MKV files it no longer displays the specs in the Details Pane likeeg 1080 x 720 25fps bitrate HVEC all that info.all MP4 files display perfectly.can anybody help?

:)

MarkPerry2, Feb 22, 2024

2. Problem with mkv Files

Hi,

Experiencing issues in playing mkv files after an update may have something to do with the video card driver. If you have another mkv player app or program, we suggest that you try playing those files using another app or program to help us sort out this
    issue.

If in case the issue persists, we suggest running video troubleshooter. Just click
    Find and fix problems playing movies, television, or video on this
    link.

You may also try rolling back the video card driver. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    • Locate and right-click your display adapter, then select Properties.
    • Select the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver option.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 22, 2024
  3. Version 1803, file data missing for MKV files

In Windows 10 version 1803, MKV files are missing some file details in the Details Pane and under Right-Click/Properties/Details. This did not happen with version 1709.

Using the h.264 codec, if I save a file as MP4, I get all file details. But if I save the same file as MKV some details are missing, including frame width, frame height, frame rate, data rate, total bitrate, and the thumbnail image.

This occurs whether I create the file new as MKV, or if I convert an MP4 to MKV (I use XMedia Recode, copying everything rather than converting). And if I convert a new MKV file to MP4, the file data appears. That narrows the problem to the file extension.

NOTE: Video playback is not affected. MKV files will play properly in Windows Media Player, the Movies & TV app, VLC, and PotPlayer. The problem lies strictly in the file details that Windows displays.
    I wondered at first if it was a glitch in File Manager, but MKV files are missing the same data when viewed in FreeCommander,
    so it appears to be rooted somewhere in Windows itself with the 1803 update.

Internet searches turn up the same or similar problem in Windows 10 as far back as 2016, but this is the first time I've come upon it. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris SoCal, Feb 22, 2024
  4. File Manager missing mkv video specs

.MKV codec not included?

Hello, Iv been trying to play/view a .mkv video file but it seems that windows 10 does not include a complete list standard codec file formats. Or have I missed something. Where can I find a trusted .mkv code? there are plenty of sites around but they seem
    to have malware and worse in them.

Thanks!

ken.hankanen, Feb 22, 2024
Thema:

File Manager missing mkv video specs

1. File Manager missing mkv video specs - Similar Threads - File Manager missing

2. File Manager missing mkv video specs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager missing mkv video specs: i had to reinstall Windows 10 recently but with MKV files it no longer displays the specs in the Details Pane likeeg 1080 x 720 25fps bitrate HVEC all that info.all MP4 files display perfectly.can anybody help?...
  3. File Manager missing mkv video specs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Manager missing mkv video specs: i had to reinstall Windows 10 recently but with MKV files it no longer displays the specs in the Details Pane likeeg 1080 x 720 25fps bitrate HVEC all that info.all MP4 files display perfectly.can anybody help?...
  4. Dark videos when reproducing MKV files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dark videos when reproducing MKV files: Hi. ASUS Vivobook PRO, IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, IntelR HD Graphics 630. Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 Build 22621.2428. Drivers up-to-date. When I try to watch MKV videos on VLC, they look much darker than they should be. Not an application issue because I tried...
  5. Dark videos when reproducing MKV files

Dark videos when reproducing MKV files: Hi. ASUS Vivobook PRO, IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, IntelR HD Graphics 630. Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 Build 22621.2428. Drivers up-to-date. When I try to watch MKV videos on VLC, they look much darker than they should be. Not an application issue because I tried...
  6. Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot delete downloaded mkv video file: I downloaded a video file some time ago and have not been able to delete it. The only thing that happens is that a colored line progresses along the top of the window, I assume to search, but the file does not go away, and waiting for an hour never sees the end of the search...
  7. Can't find ".mkv" videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find ".mkv" videos: Hi, I am having trouble with mkv files. When I copy a folder containing ".mkv" video to my laptop, only the folder get pasted. There is no video in it. What is the problem and how can I fix this?...
  8. mkv files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    mkv files: was backing up a bluray disc to mkv using handbrake. some files i could play and others I could not, why? Played back on windows media player. any help would be graciously appreciated...
  9. Video software to split MKV files

Video software to split MKV files: Hi there I've got a number of DVD RAM (Video-recorder) type RTAV files that I've converted to MKV on hard Disk. These are recorded as a continuous file . However sometimes I have 2 or 3 episodes in this file and would like to break the file up into the constituent...
  10. MKV Video - I need help

in Windows 10 Support
    MKV Video - I need help: OK this is really hard to explain. Last night I had a folder opened with some mkv files inside. I accidently pressed something on my keyboard and now that particular folder has sort of made another folder for all these videos. I tried to undo and it does not work. I have...