Windows 10: File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

Discus and support File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; File Manager currently looks like this. When opening any directories, the loading bar keeps going as long as the machine likes to.Restarting File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SaganSiniard, May 14, 2022.

1. File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

File Manager currently looks like this. When opening any directories, the loading bar keeps going as long as the machine likes to.Restarting File Manager allows me to access files, but the problem still remains.I assume it's OneDrive or my External SD Card doing this work, but I can't figure out how to look into the process more in-depth. Preview and Detail panels are also related to this problem.The only way to fix the problem is by restarting the machine plus any updates and I think the only way this problem happens is when an update comes and I haven't restarted yet, but I don't know yet.

:)

SaganSiniard, May 14, 2022
  2. asus2016 Win User

Word replacing curly quotes with straight ones not working

This is for Windows version 1909, and Word version 2002.

My wife runs, as far as I can tell, the same build of Word as I do - 1257.20242.

But the pretty basic Word process to replace curly quotes with smart ones isn't working on her machine and copy of office.

That process would of course be:

• File > options > proofing > autocorrect
    • Uncheck the straight quotes/smart quotes box
    • Click okay on the bottom
    • Pick replace from the right side of the ribbon
    • Enter " in both the find and replace boxes, then pick "replace all"
    • Repeat, but with ' in the find and replace boxes
    • All your smart quotes will now be straight quotes

Doing the above, the "replace" step comes back with nonzero number of replacements made (ten for example). But the quotes will still be curly ones, when she wants straight.

If she sends me a docx file she's having this problem on, I can easily fix it (straighten the quotes) on my machine/Word. But it won't work on hers.

I even tried replacing the quotes with a nonsense string (\\\\) and those changes stuck. As did replacing \\\\ back with quotes. But they were curly, not straight.

Other things tried, that didn't work:

• Signing out and then back into Word with her Microsoft account
    • Quitting all instances of Word and then picking the documents up again
    • Toggle the smart/curly box, make the replacements, toggle box again, make replacements

This can't be that hard. What am I missing?

- - - Updated - - -

Other interesting update.

I opened a file she emailed me, that had curly quotes on her machine. And it had straight quotes on mine. And I then changed the straights to curlies on mine, and they stuck, and back to straight and they stuck.

How can her document have the right kind of quotes on my machine, but wrong on hers?

asus2016, May 14, 2022
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, May 14, 2022
  4. dotmarty Win User

File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

Windows 10 - cannot add exec to Startup in Task Manager

I purchased a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. I am trying to add an exec to the startup list but Win10 will not accept it. The exec runs successfully on my Windows 10 machine if I start it manually.

Steps I've taken: Task Manager, Startup Tab, File>Run New Task. (browse to location, select.) It will start immediately, but does not show up on the list to autostart, nor does it start on reboot.

Any suggestions?

dotmarty, May 14, 2022
Thema:

File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

1. File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted - Similar Threads - File Manager straight

2. Roblox just straight up not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roblox just straight up not working.: I have done everything I can for the Microsoft store Roblox to work, but it just won't work. Yes, I've tried the command prompt, the Windows PowerShell, you name it. It will open, Show the logo and make an error noise then stay open showing logo, then just closes after a...
  3. Roblox just straight up not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox just straight up not working.: I have done everything I can for the Microsoft store Roblox to work, but it just won't work. Yes, I've tried the command prompt, the Windows PowerShell, you name it. It will open, Show the logo and make an error noise then stay open showing logo, then just closes after a...
  4. File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager straight up refuses to work. Fixed ONLY if the machine is rebooted: File Manager currently looks like this. When opening any directories, the loading bar keeps going as long as the machine likes to.Restarting File Manager allows me to access files, but the problem still remains.I assume it's OneDrive or my External SD Card doing this work,...
  5. Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard stops working about once a day, only a reboot fixes it.: I have a Win 10 desktop system that has basically been working fine for years. In recent weeks, about once a day, the computer will beep three times and then the keyboard will stop working, while I've been happily working with the computer for a few hours. The num lock...
  6. Reboot no bugcheck only file pow32kwatchdog.dmp

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reboot no bugcheck only file pow32kwatchdog.dmp: Cpu: i7-9900K stock 4.7 with Noctua NH-D15 Gpu: Rtx 2080 Ti Aorus Xtreme Waterforce ( stock no oc,temps max 63C on load ) Ram: 32gb 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000MHZ XMP Psu: Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 850W mobo:Asus Prime Z390-A Hello. Hi. My question. I had a crash in Metro...
  7. machine keeps refusing to open pdf files

in Windows 10 Support
    machine keeps refusing to open pdf files: Thsi has nit been happening for a few weeks. PDF files opening nornally from Outlook and Explorer. The this stops and nothing happens until I restart the machien which usually resolves the issue. I ahev been unable to find any information about this. Does anyone have any...
  8. Speed up your machine! (Windows Only)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speed up your machine! (Windows Only): Laptops and Desktops are known to become slow overtime, so I wanted to give you some speed up tips for windows. Laptops: 1. So, you'll want to go into the start menu and type in disk cleanup. Then you should press open. Then if it allows you to, select your drive with your...
  9. Realtek Manager refuses to work!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Manager refuses to work!: I'm literally past my wits end, I have tried every which way to get it to run, automatically updating it, manually, uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting my pc, updating user to full control, just nothing seems to work. There is no little icon on the task bar nor is it...
  10. PIN won't work straight after wake or reboot but works normally after logging in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PIN won't work straight after wake or reboot but works normally after logging in: I've been experiencing an issue when trying to login using my PIN after laptop reboot or wake. If I try to use my PIN after rebooting or waking my laptop up Windows displays the loading screen (as if it were correctly logging me in) for an unusually long time, about a...