Windows 10: File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it...

Discus and support File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it... in Cortana to solve the problem; File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it gets small and I cannot type. Before I try to type... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by AlanPilcher, Sep 11, 2020.

1. File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it...

File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it gets small and I cannot type.

Before I try to type anything. File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it... 13504048-4418-4099-bb75-9f1cb2bee4cf?upload=true.jpg

After I try to type a search query

File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it... d526c69a-afee-4381-b65d-364035103fdb?upload=true.jpg

Also, when I try to do a search with the magnifying glass at the bottom left of my screen, File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it... c488df6f-110f-4967-805e-a2122760435e?upload=true.jpg when I click on the magnifying glass it pops open the search window, but before I can type anything it disappears or closes.

:)

AlanPilcher, Sep 11, 2020
  2. sfcsfcsfc Win User

File search types in the Windows 10 file explorer search (using words)

Hi

I am trying to find out how I can search for specific files from the File Explorer.

So far, I have found out that you can search for files with specific names if you type "name:<name>" into the search input field.

Were can I find a list of the verbose search commands i.e. a list of the words+column character I should use to search files by other properties than their name?

For example, what should I type if I am trying to list files by file type:

filetype:<whatever>

or

type:<whatever>

or what?

I know that there is a Search toolbar, but I would like to just type the search into the search field to speed up the process. Also, I do not wish to use Cortana et al. I'd just like to use plain simple verbose search....

Thanks

sfcsfcsfc, Sep 11, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Search file names question!

Hello, do you mean the search field in explorer?

You can use regular expressions and much more.. e.g.
    *music?2

would match names with any number of characters, music, 1 character and 2
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

Not sure that's your question.

If by 'within the file names' you mean also search the file content, then I would recommend Locate32 (freeware).
    This does a fast index of your files and folders, and the search fields and syntax support searching text file content as well as detailed specification of the names. I use this regularly.

(Everything by voidtools is similar and more modern, but does not support searching file contents).

Using explorer search to find file content
    This is supported but little known, I think
    See 'Using Windows Search" here:
    How to Search the Content of Your Files on Windows

You will find e.g. doc, rtf, docx, txt marked as 'search contents' as well.
    So open a folder that is indexed, which contains some file types like that.
    Let's say one of them contains
    765432abc

Type
    "765432abc" in explorer's search field including "".
    (Refer to Advanced Query Syntax (Windows) )
    Your file should be listed.

dalchina, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Renata N' Win User

File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it...

File manager

Hello SundeepKumar,

Thank you for posting on forum.

For now, I suggest taking a look at following apps that may help with file management:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/search?q=file+manager

If you would like new features and function to be introduced to Windows phone please post your idea at Windows phone Suggestion box forum:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

You will find voting for “Add File Manager to Windows phone” on this web page:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ons/3365632-add-file-manager-to-windows-phone

Hope you will find this info helpful.

Kind regards,

Renata

Renata N', Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it...

1. File manager, When I try to type a search query into the search field of file manager it... - Similar Threads - File manager try

2. Windows File Manager closes after a search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Manager closes after a search: Sometimes when I do a search in File Manager in Windows, immediately after the results are displayed, File Manager abruptly closes. If I repeat the search, the same thing happens. Why does this happen? Is there anything I can do about it?...
  3. Windows File Manager closes after a search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Manager closes after a search: Sometimes when I do a search in File Manager in Windows, immediately after the results are displayed, File Manager abruptly closes. If I repeat the search, the same thing happens. Why does this happen? Is there anything I can do about it?...
  4. Windows File Manager closes after a search

in Cortana
  5. File Manager query

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Manager query: I have an issue on my Win10 Machine. Whenever I try to create a new folder on my desktop it's automatically named New folder(2) ; Which means that there is already a folder with that name. I have done multiple searches on my desktop through file explorer with all the hidden...
  6. File Manager crashes during file search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Manager crashes during file search: Since my recent Windows 10 updates August 2020, file manager crashes when I try to do a search for a file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-manager-crashes-during-file-search/9e569a05-441f-4d51-9fce-42a2d3bd3696
  7. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

in Cortana
    Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working: I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run...
  8. File manager search parameters - parenthesis and dots.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File manager search parameters - parenthesis and dots.: Hello all! It seems like I'm missing something basic here and I have problem finding the answer: How do I force search parameters in File Explorer in order to match parenthesis or DOT character? Is there any escape character or wildcard? Picture 1: From the list of files...
  9. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  10. File type search?

in Windows 10 Support
    File type search?: Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I...