Windows 10: File manager will not open any files and keeps hanging - just had a windows 10 update

Discus and support File manager will not open any files and keeps hanging - just had a windows 10 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just had an automated windows 10 update. Now, when I open File Manager to search, copy or open a file, it just hangs with the message - File Manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AdrianMcKeon, Oct 28, 2020.

1. File manager will not open any files and keeps hanging - just had a windows 10 update

Just had an automated windows 10 update. Now, when I open File Manager to search, copy or open a file, it just hangs with the message - File Manager not responding.

I run a basic Dell XPS13 laptop with no modifications etc and the standard MS 365 suite. Done a couple of restore points but that did not work. Prior to the update, all was well. I run the full WebRoot suite so no viruses either.

Thanks,

:)

AdrianMcKeon, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Winfile file manager

You mean this

File Manager from Windows NT 4.0 Open Sourced

If you are unsure, subscribe to github and ask a question relating to it there.

eidairaman1, Oct 28, 2020
  4. File manager will not open any files and keeps hanging - just had a windows 10 update

Winfile file manager

I saw a post on Arstechnica about reliving 1990 with Winfile. The source code is hosted on github which I downloaded. I don't know what I am supposed to use to compile it. In the article it said it has been changed to be used with Visual Studio 2017. Programs like that up a lot of space. Is it possible I can use another IDE to compile the source code?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-10-with-the-newly-open-sourced-file-manager/

GoFigureItOut, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

File manager will not open any files and keeps hanging - just had a windows 10 update

1. File manager will not open any files and keeps hanging - just had a windows 10 update - Similar Threads - File manager open

2. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging: Hello, I desperately need some help to figure out what is wrong with my file explorer. I've been reading all the answers to similar questions and have performed all the suggested fixes - changed the display, changed Access to PC, run the Scannow and Restore Health first time...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging: Hello, I desperately need some help to figure out what is wrong with my file explorer. I've been reading all the answers to similar questions and have performed all the suggested fixes - changed the display, changed Access to PC, run the Scannow and Restore Health first time...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.: When opening any file double left click from File Explorer there is a 23 second delay. This happens for .txt file notepad .doc word .pdf pdf-xchange .xls excel. When right clicking on a file, the main properties menu opens but when the "open with" context menu is selected...
  6. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens: File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from...
  7. Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files: I am using a Surface Tablet 6 with windows 10. When I try to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint by double clicking on the file, Windows Explorer just hangs with the spinning wheel. I can open the files if i do it from the application. The files have been tested from onedrive...
  8. File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening: Totally frustrated. I am a SW developer for the last 20 years... And I cannot open the w10 file explorer without it being crashed or hanged. Sometimes windows will be kind and open it when right clicking and sometimes not. This is totally unbelievable. I even don't feel...
  9. Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows (not just File Explorer) hangs up deleting or moving files: I've run searches but can't find my specific problem, and it's driving me nuts. I'm having trouble moving and deleting files in Windows -- not just File Explorer, but in FreeCommander, as well. There are times when Windows cooperates fully, but sometimes it stalls when...
  10. File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window

in Windows 10 Support
    File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window: Hi guys, First of all thanks to everybody to help newbies like me. I have problem when i'm working with the file manager in windows 10, when i'm inside the "Downloads" folder, if i try to open a subfolder, then open a new window. I'm not english navite speaker so i...