Windows 10: File missing all the words in the document

Discus and support File missing all the words in the document in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ok, I got maybe a unique one for you all... today I turned on a laptop I have not turned on in over a year. i needed a document i had saved on it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SoundSorcerer, Jan 12, 2021.

1. File missing all the words in the document

ok, I got maybe a unique one for you all... today I turned on a laptop I have not turned on in over a year. i needed a document i had saved on it and was able to access it. I changed one line in the document hit the save icon and was about to send it to myself in email form... when the cord got unplugged and the laptop instantly died. The laptop's battery won't hold a charge. so after cussing up a storm, i plugged it back in and rebooted the computer. I tried to retrieve the document. well, windows decided it needed updating so after waiting what seemed an eternity i finally got to the login screen. I got into the documents opened it and there was nothing in the document all words had been erased. the properties show only 10 kbs of info... so it is all erased. the document is a .rtf file written in word pad.

Please tell me there is a way to retrieve the words/data that was once there just min before. I hope someone answers quickly as i have not turned the laptop off since this happened this afternoon. I also downloaded Disk Drill but that program was no help. It didnt find the exact document that i wanted to retrieve i dont know why...

Anhow please someone HELP! not sure where to post this let me know if i have posted in the wrong place and where i should post it. thanks

:)

SoundSorcerer, Jan 12, 2021

2. Lost Word documents

Hi LornaRadke,

Firs check your recycle bin folder probably you can find your lost file there. If not found there then try another way of searching your lost documents file by their name in the search box.

Still not found, then apply these manual steps: Open MS Word > click the File Tab > Click Manage Document >select Recover Unsaved Documents from the drop-down
    list > Check for your missing file in the dialog box >Open the recovered Word document > click the Save As button in the top banner.

Probably you will find your lost documents on this list.

Finally if not shows there then try the last alternative option i.e. third party free data recovery programs like Recuva, stellar data recovery free edition, recoverit, etc. These utility programs completely free and can help you to recover your lost
    files. You can try your luck. Thanks

SandraMcgray, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Nath Bea Win User
    Wrong "remove from list" document on word mobile.

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern about re-enabling files that were removed from the Recent Documents List in Word, we suggest to follow this steps:

• Click the FILE tab in the program.
    • Click Options from the list on the left side of the screen.
    • On the Word Options dialog box, click Advanced in the list of options on the left.
    • On the Advanced screen, scroll down to the Display section. Select the value in the Show this number of Recent Documents edit box. You can choose to change the value to 0 to disable the list.
    • When you open Word, or select the Open option in the program, there are no documents in your Recent Documents list.
    • To re-enable the list, go back into the Word Options dialog box and enter the desired value (from 0 to 50, inclusive) in the Show this number of Recent Documents edit box on the Advanced screen. If any documents were previously displayed in the Recent Documents
      list, they are added to the list again.

We're just here if you have further questions.

Regards.

Nath Bea, Jan 12, 2021
  4. marinro Win User

File missing all the words in the document

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

File missing all the words in the document

1. File missing all the words in the document - Similar Threads - File missing words

2. Microsoft Word for windows 10 and all Word documents will not open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Word for windows 10 and all Word documents will not open.: Word will bring up with error "we are sorry, but Word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Word will need to be closed as a result. Would you like to repair now?" Clicking on repair now just allows error message to go away. How do I get Word to...
  3. Microsoft Word for windows 10 and all Word documents will not open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Word for windows 10 and all Word documents will not open.: Word will bring up with error "we are sorry, but Word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Word will need to be closed as a result. Would you like to repair now?" Clicking on repair now just allows error message to go away. How do I get Word to...
  4. word document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    word document: My word document isnt opening up on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-document/8a0d49a1-2a9b-4d81-b0ab-2d0b28a561bd
  5. Word Documents

Word Documents: Hi There, I hope someone in the Community has an answer , the other day while saving a Document to a drive i noticed that all the files now had the % percent sign in between every word of the file name ?Is this a virus , or is it corruption of word?Appreciate any help/advice...
  6. All my shortcuts switched to word documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my shortcuts switched to word documents: I logged into to my computer yesterday and noticed all of my shortcuts are now word documents. The word documents all contain a string of numbers and letters and that's it. I tried to make another shortcut for a new program and it to shows up as a word document.Almost all of...
  7. Missing Downloaded Word Document

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing Downloaded Word Document: I downloaded a Word document from BlackBoard as assignment, enabled editing, and spent a few hours working on the document. When I was done I hit save, and a pop-up showed up saying it would update the file to the newest format. Now as I am trying to submit my assignment, I...
  8. Saving a Word document into a PDF file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Saving a Word document into a PDF file: I am getting the following error when saving to a PDF file in Word. I can open any PDF file I have, but I can't save one. I don't know where to go to solve this. I have reinstalled Adobe and Word....
  9. Files and documents are missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files and documents are missing: I’ve bought a new computer and want to share all my files and documents from the old computer to the new one. I installed Windows 10 on my old computer two years ago. My new computer is HP laptop running Windows 10. My files were on OneDrive and I checked them a couple of...
  10. No Word document preview in file explorer

No Word document preview in file explorer: ​Since updating to win 10 anniversary edition I cannot get a preview of Word documents in File Explorer - all other files show a preview. This is on a Sony Vaio all in one PC with Office 2010. The mystery is that I also have a Vaio laptop running the identical operating...