Windows 10: File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive...

Discus and support File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometimes when I move a file from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive the file name changes a bit. The name on the target drive ReFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jason123037, Nov 8, 2020.

1. File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive...

Sometimes when I move a file from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive the file name changes a bit. The name on the target drive ReFS formatted takes the original name of the file before I renamed the original file on the NTFS drive . is this an index problem or is this an incompatibiliy between NTFS and ReFS when moving files ?

For example :

drive c NFTS formatted : file name 'Ab.TXT' renamed to "11.TXT" later.

drive d ReFS formatted

move "11.TXT" from drive C to drive d

new file name on drive d: "Ab.TXT" back the original name before renaming it.

:)

jason123037, Nov 8, 2020
  2. commonone Win User

Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Moving files from Mac-formatted external hard drive to PC

Did you look in THIS PC location.

You drive is not located in devices.

And Dave is correct. Also depends on the Format type you used on a Mac.

I suggest to go back to the MAC and move the files back onto it.

format the drive NTFS or possibly FAT 16 and move the files back onto it.

then try and move them on to Windows PC

Certified_Friend, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Zalmann Win User

File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive...

Hard Drive formatting

Just go through the install, it will ask you which drive, and then will ask you to format. With that size HDD, format with using NTFS.

Zalmann, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive...

1. File name changes when moving files from an NTFS formatted drive to a ReFS formatted drive... - Similar Threads - File name changes

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format A drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  5. Can't format A drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Files format and name changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Files format and name changed: I have a toshiba 1TB external drive . on my drive some of the files were renamed and changed tothe following format <file name>.id-30BEA7CC.[*** Email address is removed for privacy ***].filters i am unable to open or recover these files please help....
  7. Hard drive changes from ntfs to raw during format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive changes from ntfs to raw during format: I have a 1 TB hard drive. It is in ntfs format. If I do a quick format the drive stays as NTFS. If I turn off the quick format, the drive changes to RAW and the format fails. Should I only do the quick format or is their someting wrong with the drive? 182775
  8. How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System

in Windows 10 News
    How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System: [ATTACH]The chances are that at one point or the other everyone has tried to […] This article How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  10. recovering files from a formatted drive

in Windows 10 Support
    recovering files from a formatted drive: What is the best and cheapest software to recover files from a formatted usb hard drive (WD Elements) 89011