Windows 10: File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

Discus and support File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by schvankus, May 11, 2022.

1. schvankus Win User

File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it toFile Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files :project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open as it's not a recognized file extension.I tried it on my computer exactly as above and it saved it correctly as a .PNG file.Is there a way to force Windows to ALWAYS use the "Save as type" file extension no matter how you name the file?Thank you for your help.G

:)

schvankus, May 11, 2022
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, May 11, 2022
  3. Default file extension - cannot save file name as .php in notepad.

Hi Niko,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to save the WordPad and check if it helps.

1. Open the “WordPad”, click on “File”.

2. Click on “Save as”, under file name enter the name abc.php.

3. Under “Save as type” select as “All files”.

4. Click on “Save” and check.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 11, 2022
  4. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 11, 2022
Thema:

File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

1. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files - Similar Threads - File Name Overrides

2. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type: All images saved from Chrome are being saved with the file type "File" regardless of the original file type of the image i am saving.I have tried from different browsers and they are saved in the correct format.I've contacted Google support and they say this is a Windows...
  3. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type: All images saved from Chrome are being saved with the file type "File" regardless of the original file type of the image i am saving.I have tried from different browsers and they are saved in the correct format.I've contacted Google support and they say this is a Windows...
  4. When I save an image file it saves as the wrong file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  6. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  7. Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setup automatic file save naming convention when saving files: I’m not even sure what to Google to try and figure this out. Looking for any help. My goal is when I go to save a file that the name of the file starts with this date format... YYYY-DD-MM Then the highlighted blue area would be editable and I could put whatever in there. But...
  8. save and save as file types

save and save as file types: I save/download very few websites/documents. I want them to appear in File Explorer in only one place such as quick access, this pc, libraries, pictures, etc. Any EXCEPT OneDrive. Where, how can I do this using Edge or IE browser? I do not save enough to bother with...
  9. Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file name autopopulated in file name of "save as" when saving from Edge: When I unlocked my computer this morning and tried "save as" for a photo out of Edge, there was one of my financial files names auto populated in the "file name" field. It has been some time since I've used Edge (usually use Chrome). I have not done anything with that file in...
  10. Windows: I cannot save files of a certain extension type

Windows: I cannot save files of a certain extension type: I can no longer use a program to save files of a certain extension type. I'm using Windows Pro version 1909 .bp bravo prodigy it worked fine before recent updates the file name appears in the recent folder but has zero data...