Windows 10: File names are different when searched

Discus and support File names are different when searched in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had some files that I changed the name. Actually it was just a small change in UPPER and lower cases. I changed some lowercase letter into uppercase... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Senath Bandaranayake, Dec 18, 2021.

1. File names are different when searched

I had some files that I changed the name. Actually it was just a small change in UPPER and lower cases. I changed some lowercase letter into uppercase but when I search in Explorer the lowercase name shows. When I copy from search and paste somewhere it's the same lowercase name. How can I fix this? I restarted my PC several times for days but still it's the same.

:)

Senath Bandaranayake, Dec 18, 2021

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Dec 18, 2021
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 18, 2021
  4. File names are different when searched

Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 18, 2021
Thema:

File names are different when searched

1. File names are different when searched - Similar Threads - File names are

2. File names are different when searched

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File names are different when searched: I had some files that I changed the name. Actually it was just a small change in UPPER and lower cases. I changed some lowercase letter into uppercase but when I search in Explorer the lowercase name shows. When I copy from search and paste somewhere it's the same lowercase...
  3. File names are different when searched

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File names are different when searched: I had some files that I changed the name. Actually it was just a small change in UPPER and lower cases. I changed some lowercase letter into uppercase but when I search in Explorer the lowercase name shows. When I copy from search and paste somewhere it's the same lowercase...
  4. Files in the folder is not displayed when we search the specific name in search bar.!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files in the folder is not displayed when we search the specific name in search bar.!: Recently upgraded to Windows 11, and when I tried searching a file which exists on the folder, it showed "No items to display". This remains same even I enabled indexing search. Tried few searchhost.exe tips from other forums, nothing worked. Hectic with these updates and...
  5. Searching for files names with numbers

Searching for files names with numbers: HI, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after upgrading to the new laptop, I can't search with numbers. I see the file but it says "no items match you search" but I can see...
  6. Renaming a file into multiple different names

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming a file into multiple different names: Hi, I'll simplify question, I have one file that needs to be renamed and copied into multiple different names is there any batch in Windows 10 (OS build 18362.476) that I could use, I am also opened for any other suggestions? 145227
  7. Different names when sending from different accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different names when sending from different accounts: I have several mail accounts on the app of (Mail and Calendar) not on the Outlook mail, is on the app of Windows10. The name of the accounts differ as well as the mail address. The problem comes when sending mails, the one who receives them always sees my personal name,...
  8. Search for file by substrings in file name

Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  9. Using different fonts in file name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using different fonts in file name: Can I do what the picture below describes : Is there a utility that helps me do this? John 67943
  10. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660