Windows 10: "File Not Found" Errors on HRBLOCK and TurboTax in saving to Documents -- BUT Office 2016...

Discus and support "File Not Found" Errors on HRBLOCK and TurboTax in saving to Documents -- BUT Office 2016... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; All of the following statements are true, and they are odd and to me mysterious when taken together: 1. Neither HRBlock 2018 (2017...) nor Turbo Tax... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TF_950, Nov 16, 2018.

1. TF_950 Win User

"File Not Found" Errors on HRBLOCK and TurboTax in saving to Documents -- BUT Office 2016...

All of the following statements are true, and they are odd and to me mysterious when taken together:

1. Neither HRBlock 2018 (2017...) nor Turbo Tax 2018 can save a file to anywhere in the systems Documents folder. The error message is "File not found" with both programs, after doing Save As and OK.

2. Both HRBlock and Turbotax can save files in any user folder created outside the systems Documents folder.

3. Office 2016 desktop apps can save files normally in the system Documents folder. Office online is not used, and neither is OneDrive.

4. A large amount of research has already been done with my PC's Permissions and Effective Access and inheritance regarding this issue. I have received hours of guidance from HRBlock tech support, including at least one person there for 10 years. PC health has been thoroughly checked. A chkdsk seems irrelevant because the problems are by app, but the problems are the same exactly for two different apps.

Some of my present guesswork: Office 2016 and Windows 10 may have in net effect combined to block out these two tax apps and perhaps other non-office apps from the system Documents folder, but if so how and what to do from here? Does anyone have further ideas or suggestions? It is a very odd situation. Yes, I can use the tax forms by just avoiding the systems Documents folder, but I want to understand this mystery.

Tu

:)

TF_950, Nov 16, 2018
  2. 4dw10 Win User

Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

PROBLEM:
    MS Office 2013 can't save files anywhere except in OneDrive (which I don't want to use).

BACKGROUND:
    • Win10 upgrade on Alienware 17 R2 (2015 model) from 8.1 went well - no errors.
    • After using for a few days (normal shutdown / startups), used MS Word to create a document.

1. Created my document
    2. Went to file save dialogue, typed in filename e.g. "status update.docx".
    3. Almost immediately, the MS Word file save dialogue popped back up with the same filename, but now appended with a "1" e.g. "statusupdate1.docx" and received an error message (1st clue things aren't right)
    4. Hit 'Save' and everything looks okay except the document name shown at the top of MS Word is "Document1" (2nd clue things aren't right)
    5. Choose 'File, Close' and dialogue "Want to save your changes to Document1?" pops up (3rd clue)
    6. Choose 'Save' and "statusupdate1.docx" appears as the filename -- no matter how many times I hit 'Save' the 'Save as' dialogue keeps coming back with the "statusupdate1.docx" filename
    7. I'm forced to choose 'Don't Save' in the dialogue to exit MS Word
    8. I CAN'T save in docx, docm, or doc in any location EXCEPT OneDrive
    9. I CAN save rtf versions everywhere

ACTIONS TAKEN:

1. Checked the web for fixes but didn't find any that worked
    2. Ran sfc /scannow
    3. Ran dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    4. Chose to completely remove MS Office 2013 and reinstall (used Microsoft's MSO total removal tool which removes all registry entries in addition to removing the files)
    5. After re-installation, experienced the same problem with MS Excel files (new problem after remove/install cycle)
    6. Checked out Microsoft's Known Issues with Office and Windows 10, but no joy - "Known issues with Office and Windows 10
    7. Now every time I use Word, it also tries to save normal.docx which it can't save, and which takes multiple steps to finally abandon saving. Since word is used by Outlook, it also means that I have the normal.docx style sheet issue when composing mail or opening attachments.
    8. UPDATE: Installed Office 2016 in trial mode. No change. Exactly the same problem with Office 2016 as Office 2013.

Any help appreciated.

UPDATE: SOLVED

Trusteer product from IBM was the problem. Once removed, all applications work and save normally.

4dw10, Nov 16, 2018
  3. scatback Win User
    TurboTax 2016

How do I retrieve TurboTax 2016 after installing it today?

scatback, Nov 16, 2018
  4. meebers Win User

"File Not Found" Errors on HRBLOCK and TurboTax in saving to Documents -- BUT Office 2016...

Word 2016 crashes on save/save as

When I do a save as or save, MS Word 2016, Version 1704 Build 8067.2157 becomes non responsive. No matter what the destination is, usually documents, it just crashes. Task manager to get out of it. Searched for problem on the internet, tried most if not all of the suggestions same result. Tried the Office repair, same problem. Appreciate any suggestions.

UPDATE: Now all programs in office have the same "save to" crash.*Sleepy

meebers, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

1. "File Not Found" Errors on HRBLOCK and TurboTax in saving to Documents -- BUT Office 2016... - Similar Threads - File Found Errors

2. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    document file not saving in documents: since i got a new boot m.2 i had to move my files from the profile to a hard drive so when i download stuff it does not take up space ware my boot is and now when ever an app on my pc saves a file it does not save it in documents it saves the file on my desktop and i cant...
  3. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    document file not saving in documents: since i got a new boot m.2 i had to move my files from the profile to a hard drive so when i download stuff it does not take up space ware my boot is and now when ever an app on my pc saves a file it does not save it in documents it saves the file on my desktop and i cant...
  4. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Office 2016 - no preview of Excel documents in File Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 - no preview of Excel documents in File Explorer: Brand new laptop with freshly installed Office 2016 (Windows 10 version 1903). I cannot get Excel docs to preview in File Explorer (no problem with all other Office documents and PDFs). Looking online, I've seen that this is a relatively common problem. I've tried all the...
  6. Fatal error when saving an office document

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fatal error when saving an office document: In the past two weeks I have received the message that a fatal error has occurred when trying to save a file in word or powerpoint. Any suggestions how to fix this?...
  7. cannot save files in Office 2016 --message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot save files in Office 2016 --message: "Microsoft Excel cannot access the file 'F:\*************. There are several reasons: * The file name or path does ot exist. *The file is being used by another program. *The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook." This started...
  8. Saving TurboTax 2018 Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving TurboTax 2018 Files in Windows 10: Just loaded TurboTax 2018 and when trying to save my file I received a warning saying "there are no more files". Any ideas how to save my file? I have used TurboTax for years without any issues. Is the issue with Windows 10 ?...
  9. Saving office documents

Saving office documents: I have just created a new word document. When I try to do a "file", "save as" it tells me I don't have permission to save in that location and to contact the administrator to obtain permission. I am the administrator as mine is the only name in the users. Has anyone else come...
  10. MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently

MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently: I recently noticed that when I am saving a MS Word document the icon has changed. I am running windows 10 and MS Office Professional 2016. This only started happening within the past week. i tried doing a quick repair of MS Office and that did not solve the problem so I went...