Windows 10: File open dialog customization

Discus and support File open dialog customization in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a large Quick Access list and a lot of folders on my drive. When I open a file, my Quick Access does not show up unless I collapse the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobM278, Feb 19, 2021.

1. BobM278 Win User

File open dialog customization

I have a large Quick Access list and a lot of folders on my drive. When I open a file, my Quick Access does not show up unless I collapse the desktop icon. Is there any way to set it so the Desktop is collapsed unless I click on it? I have Excel and Word 2010 on Windows 10 and both have the same issue for me.

File open dialog customization 62005140-faa5-4f61-b593-2b5bbf46bf51?upload=true.jpg

:)

BobM278, Feb 19, 2021
  2. Callender Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

File open dialog customization [​IMG]

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Feb 19, 2021
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 19, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Hi, FWIW, I found that Atlantis Word was already added to the Open With list for .pdf's - although it is incapable of opening them.
    (Is that so with Word?)

It did show in the Open With list, and when clicked stated it could not open the pdf except as a text file (or similar). I.e. it gave a sensible warning message.

I therefore chose to delete it from the Open With options for pdf. Why it was added I don't know.

In your case it seemed Word had been successfully added - you add an item, click to Save it, and then should see this confirmation:

Perhaps if a program not registered to handle an extension is added to the Open With list for that extension, it doesn't appear in the menu- would have to test that.

** Well, I tried adding Wordpad to the OW list for png, and it appeared in it, and attempted to open the file- garbage of course.

I wonder if Word might have appeared in the Choose another app list..

Example of a lot of options being presented (png)

dalchina, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

1. File open dialog customization - Similar Threads - File open dialog

2. The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.: I recently had an issue where a user couldn't delete a file because it was open. The "open file" dialog typically says what user has the file open, but this time it did not. Is there a reason why it wouldn't show who had the file open? The end user wants to know what we can...
  3. The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.: I recently had an issue where a user couldn't delete a file because it was open. The "open file" dialog typically says what user has the file open, but this time it did not. Is there a reason why it wouldn't show who had the file open? The end user wants to know what we can...
  4. The "open file" dialog doesn't show who has the file open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No thumbnail in Open Dialog Box of image files: Recently, opening image files will not show a thumbnail of the actual photo, but a generic picture icon. I have not changed any default image settings.....
  6. Dialog Button Customization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Button Customization: Hereby sincerely to enquire, I wish to customize the color of the dialog button, any advise for it? prefer regedit. The default color of the dialog button is blue Border and while I point on it, I wish to change it to another....
  7. File Open Dialog Box Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Open Dialog Box Issues: Since today I've noticed that the Windows file open dialog box crashes the app calling it. For example, I use Soundforge Pro 11 and if I click the icon or the menu item for file open, the dialog appears followed by an error message from the application saying the program has...
  8. Dialog box customization

Dialog box customization: What file has all the dialog boxes ? Such as file explorer? The icons in the ribbon?John*cry 140382
  9. How to customize the buttons in the Recycle Bin 'Delete files' dialog?

How to customize the buttons in the Recycle Bin 'Delete files' dialog?: Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me, if I'm asking something dumb, but I have the following question: In the popup message about really wanting to delete all the items when emptying the Recycle Bin I'd like to change the text of the two buttons from 'Yes' and 'No' to...
  10. Customize Default Open File Dialog View Settings When Searched

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Default Open File Dialog View Settings When Searched: How can I change the default view settings for open file dialogs so that they always show Details view and sorted by Last Modified *when the open file dialog quick search box has been used to find files*? 108715