Windows 10: File "Opens with" preference not getting saved

Discus and support File "Opens with" preference not getting saved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Issues : I have a python file (".py"). I am trying to make "Visual Studio Code" as its default editor, so that each time I open double click the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HIMANSHUNEGI-[xboxvenue], Nov 11, 2018.

1. File "Opens with" preference not getting saved

Issues :

I have a python file (".py"). I am trying to make "Visual Studio Code" as its default editor, so that each time I open double click the python file, it opens up in "Visual Studio Code". I have tried the following way and nothing is helping..

1)

a) Double click the file.

"How do you want to open this file ?" pop up opens up

b) Select "Visual Studio Code"

c) Select the checkbox at lower left side which says "Always"

d) hit OK

--Nothing

2)

a) Open file properties

b) "How do you want to open this file ?" pop up opens up

c) Select "Visual Studio Code"

d) Select the checkbox at lower left side which says "Always"

e) hit OK

--Nothing

I have tried Notepad++ instead of VS Code and same result.

I have also tried, other files like setting up 7zip as default for zip files. Same result.

Somewhere I read removing my outlook account from windows would help. It did not.

I am on Win 10 | Version 1803 | OS Build 17134.376

Any suggestions...

:)

HIMANSHUNEGI-[xboxvenue], Nov 11, 2018
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Nov 11, 2018
  4. File "Opens with" preference not getting saved

Saving a file to a folder

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm opening up an attachment from a google account. When I right click I don't have the 'save as' option also I did not have that option when I checked the 'file' either...

Please advise.

Thank you,

DeanHadzikostas, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

File "Opens with" preference not getting saved

1. File "Opens with" preference not getting saved - Similar Threads - File Opens preference

2. Can't Save Monitor Preferences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Save Monitor Preferences: I currently have 2 Brand new HP OMEN 27U Monitors hooked up to my windows 10 PC. I'm running a AMDRadeon RX 580 Series Graphics card and have both monitors pugged in to the card via 2x 8K Display Port Cables.On Startup only one screen shows my computer desktop. I have to...
  3. Can't Save Monitor Preferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't Save Monitor Preferences: I currently have 2 Brand new HP OMEN 27U Monitors hooked up to my windows 10 PC. I'm running a AMDRadeon RX 580 Series Graphics card and have both monitors pugged in to the card via 2x 8K Display Port Cables.On Startup only one screen shows my computer desktop. I have to...
  4. Failure to save preferences

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Failure to save preferences: I get the request to select preferences on many websites, which say they have saved the preferences, but the next time I go into the site, it asks again, The preferences have not been saved. Is there something I have done in my settings which is stopping the saving of...
  5. Failure to save preferences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to save preferences: I get the request to select preferences on many websites, which say they have saved the preferences, but the next time I go into the site, it asks again, The preferences have not been saved. Is there something I have done in my settings which is stopping the saving of...
  6. Failure to save preferences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Not saving sound preferences

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not saving sound preferences: Hi, I change discord sounds in: Settings>System>Sound>App Volume Device Preferences. Everytime I start up my computer the discord sound is at 100 and that is way to loud for me, I usually keep it at 10-15 but 100 is loud enough to hear yourself through my microphone. Every...
  8. File type .xml not saving Open With preferences after 2004 build 19041.329 experience...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type .xml not saving Open With preferences after 2004 build 19041.329 experience...: I keep trying to set the default app to open XML files something other than IE11 used to have it set to open in an XML editor. Neither using Settings>Apps>Default Apps or right clicking on an XML file in explorer and changing the default under properties seems to work. As...
  9. Printer Preferences settings not getting saved

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer Preferences settings not getting saved: Windows 10 does not save the printer settings aw well as the settings in the 'preferences'. In 'preferences' there is another two settings, 'Default setting' and 'current setting'. If I click on 'current setting' and 'apply' it, after the print-out is done it again goes back...
  10. WINDOWS 10 PREFERENCES TO "OPEN A FILE WITH"

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 PREFERENCES TO "OPEN A FILE WITH": In Windows 7 there was a preference area to customize what program to open a file with. Where is that feature on 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-preferences-to-open-a-file-with/831e85e7-054d-46a9-a418-6db8cab6624c