Windows 10: "File or Folder is Open in Another Program" workflow disruption

Discus and support "File or Folder is Open in Another Program" workflow disruption in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm looking for a quick solution to "action can't be completed because file or folder is open in another program". I'm looking for a method that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RedQueen, Jul 27, 2020.

1. RedQueen Win User

"File or Folder is Open in Another Program" workflow disruption

I'm looking for a quick solution to "action can't be completed because file or folder is open in another program".
    I'm looking for a method that doesn't interrupt workflow...I'd like to keep all my apps/windows and folders open..
    and just target that one file or folder...

-I tried "unlocker" but it couldn't identify the process but offered to delete it on reboot which I don't like.
    -Long ago (many years) I seem to remember adding "take ownership" to context menu fixed it... it might have been windows 7 or 8.1 I'm not exactly sure when it stopped working...but a few years ago I noticed it stopped working for editing files even though the context menu button was added...I'm wondering if I have an outdated file, as I'm using windows 10 now...

-Any other advice welcome...

*I get this error often with apps that use multiple tabs, or just recently I compressed a folder,
    tried to delete the original and it wouldn't delete...I literally have a paper in front of me full of files/folders that need
    to be edited next time I reboot, or restart explorer...

(Windows 10 OS Build 19041.388)

:)

RedQueen, Jul 27, 2020

2. Restore the default option of "File is open in another program" message

Hi Mohammad,

We appreciate the details you shared. About your query in restoring the default option "File is open in another program" message, this is most likely to happen due to a certain setting previously disabled on your Folder View options. To rectify your issue,
    follow these steps:

• Using Windows Search, type File Explorer Options.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the View tab, click Restore Defaults.
    • Click Apply.
    • Hit OK.

This will allow you to revert to the settings previously applied to your files and folders. Afterwards, restart your device and check if you will see this message prompt when opening files in another program.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jul 27, 2020
  3. The mysterious "Folder in use . . . file or folder is open in another program"

Hi SBYH,

Thanks for sharing updates with us.

As per your error message here is article mention some suggestion you may refer and see if any help.

How to Fix the Error “The Action Can’t Be Completed Because the Folder or a File
    in it is Open in Another Program

Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.

Meanwhile, since issue with windows explorer
    to make sure you get the proper assistance, we’ll move this post to
    correct category.

I appreciate your time and understanding.

Best Regards

Waqas Muhammad

Waqas Muhammad MSFT, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Klaus20 Win User

Open in another program

Hello.
    I'm running into problems regarding deleting, moving or re-naming files/folders ... always PDF ones.
    "...file is open in another program". There is no other program open!
    In Task manager it sometimes works to end Adobe Collaboration Synchronizer (2), but sometimes the problem persists.
    View is on List, so no thumbnail.
    What program is the culprit? And just closing it every time - or even rebooting - is not a solution.
    Is there a permanent fix?
    Obviously I searched but with no avail.

Thanks in advance

Windows version 1909, latest .. always uptodate

Klaus20, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

1. "File or Folder is Open in Another Program" workflow disruption - Similar Threads - File Folder Open

2. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  3. can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program: Hey, I have the username "Firstname Lastname". The space in between the two names are causing problems with the path. So I changed the username but the folder for the username (C:/Users/username) has not changed. So I looked for this workarround:...
  4. Program as trigger to open another program?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program as trigger to open another program?: Hello dear community, I got CS:GO in Steam. I would like to run CustomDesktopLogo at the same time so that I can display a small dot in the middle of the monitor. Now I have already tried with a CMD file: start /b "" "C:\Not...
  5. This action cannot be completed because the folder or file is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This action cannot be completed because the folder or file is open in another program: We have all tried to delete stuff and are informed that the folder or file is currently open when it is not. While I realize there are workarounds such as rebooting or going into systems processes, let's all admit that it is a bug that really ought to be fixed. I shouldn't...
  6. Open in another program

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Open in another program: Hello. I'm running into problems regarding deleting, moving or re-naming files/folders ... always PDF ones. "...file is open in another program". There is no other program open! In Task manager it sometimes works to end Adobe Collaboration Synchronizer (2), but sometimes the...
  7. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  8. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Support
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  9. change file extension to open by another program

in Windows 10 Customization
    change file extension to open by another program: i have a weird issue that randomly .xls will opens default with excel citrix. after one-off manual change to open by excel using GUI, it will be fine. how do i change it for all computers? i tried using command ftype Excel.Sheet.8="C:\Program Files\Microsoft...
  10. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program": The ASUS Aura software for my ASUS B250F motherboard was working fine until I downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak II, for some reason it reset the lighting on my motherboard back to its default rainbow setting, I went into The ASUS Aura software to change it back to the way it was...