Windows 10: File Ownership, and Permissions

Discus and support File Ownership, and Permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files. The problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scooze__, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Scooze__ Win User

File Ownership, and Permissions

So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files.

The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a user that technically doesn't exist anymore. These are Windows.old files after I performed a recovery of the system. They are taking up a massive chunk of my OS drive, and I want that space.

I've done everything I know to do to take ownership, and subsequently add all the permissions to the files that I need. Beyond that I removed every other credential so that my primary account which is also an administrator would be the only one with full control of the files System, admins as a group, and the account itself all have "Full Control" listed.

Does anyone know why these ghost permissions are still in effect, and how I could remove it? This account it's saying I need permission from is NOT listed on any of it's permissions. Besides, the account literally doesn't exist anymore.

Help?

:)

Scooze__, Oct 13, 2020
  2. xBruce88x Win User

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad File Ownership, and Permissions :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, Oct 13, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
  4. j.col70 Win User

j.col70, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

1. File Ownership, and Permissions - Similar Threads - File Ownership Permissions

2. WdagUtilityAccount permissions and ownership and locked questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WdagUtilityAccount permissions and ownership and locked questions: Ive noticed all of the questions of WdagUtility are being locked to commentsIDK why this is but if I have a question, I would like to be able to discuss this. IDK why these forums are being locked, but I am going to explain how I removed WdagUtility permission so when people...
  3. file ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file ownership: HiI changed my windows and I can`t access to some photos , I tried a lot of solutions but non of them worked.Please help me to access my photos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-ownership/0e63d4a2-b679-4b91-9de7-63e45081158c
  4. File ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File ownership: Hi,I run a small company with a headcount of less than 30. We are using a shared network drive to upload and share documents on file explorer. I've managed to pull together a list detailing each document saved on the drive along with each document's file owner using the...
  5. File ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File ownership: Hi,I run a small company with a headcount of less than 30. We are using a shared network drive to upload and share documents on file explorer. I've managed to pull together a list detailing each document saved on the drive along with each document's file owner using the...
  6. File ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File ownership: Some files saved onto my network drives do not have an 'owner' listed under the file properties. How is it possible that not all files have an owner when saved onto a network drive while the vast majority of files do?Thanks,Bruce & Alfred...
  8. File ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    File ownership: So i have an annoying thing on the computer that if i move a folder/file it then has a little lock and apps cant acces it. I gota right-click then file ownership and then personal. Is there a way to turn that of? Its kinda annoying. Thanks :...
  9. Win 10 permissions and take ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 permissions and take ownership: I have a user who can take ownership of a folder when i have expressly denied the user and administrator/s all permissions including take ownership Users on a single Win 10 PC and as I am not just the only one who uses the PC I want to lock a folder down to stop anyone else...
  10. Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.: Windows 10 64-bit I have a file that AVG Antivirus Free has detected as a Trojan-gen with the name "DBcHMDC" this file is located in the "C:\ProgramData" folder. When i ask AVG to solve the issue, it isn't able to do anything. So i went to check on the file myself, it turns...