Windows 10: file ownership

Discus and support file ownership in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HiI changed my windows and I can`t access to some photos , I tried a lot of solutions but non of them worked.Please help me to access my photos.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by alidarabi1, May 17, 2022.

1. file ownership

HiI changed my windows and I can`t access to some photos , I tried a lot of solutions but non of them worked.Please help me to access my photos.

:)

alidarabi1, May 17, 2022
  2. xBruce88x Win User

file permissions/ownership troubles

a while back my main user account got corrupted somehow and the only way to get to my files was to take ownership of them in my other admin account. but now i'm stuck with having to retake ownership of these files every time i try to access it from another computer or user account, which makes sharing multimedia to my xbox 360 impossible. is there a way to just remove all of these permission settings back to normal? its REALLY getting frustrating with the access denied crap, its even interfering with some .msi install files. *Mad file ownership :mad:*Cry :cry:

this also puts my new computer build on hold since i need to transfer the files but i'm stuck with the ownership crap

edit: btw its on windows xp pro sp3

xBruce88x, May 17, 2022
  3. Scooze__ Win User
    File Ownership, and Permissions

So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files.

The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a user that technically doesn't exist anymore. These are Windows.old files after I performed a recovery of the system.
    They are taking up a massive chunk of my OS drive, and I want that space.

I've done everything I know to do to take ownership, and subsequently add all the permissions to the files that I need. Beyond that I removed every other credential so that my primary account (which is also an administrator) would be the only one with full
    control of the files (System, admins as a group, and the account itself all have "Full Control" listed.)

Does anyone know why these ghost permissions are still in effect, and how I could remove it? This account it's saying I need permission from is NOT listed on any of it's permissions. Besides, the account literally doesn't exist anymore.

Help?

Scooze__, May 17, 2022
  4. file ownership

ownership

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open File Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2022
Thema:

file ownership

1. file ownership - Similar Threads - file ownership

2. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  3. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  4. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?: I am trying to change the permission of the Scan folder in the Windows Defender, but my access is denied. I tried to follow the instructions, but non would work....
  6. Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?

Why can't I change the ownership of my own file?: I am trying to change the permission of the Scan folder in the Windows Defender, but my access is denied. I tried to follow the instructions, but non would work....
  7. I tried to take ownership of a file much to my mistake which has left my laptop show the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried to take ownership of a file much to my mistake which has left my laptop show the...: I've looked online and it suggested to do a clean installation of windows using bootable media which I tried but when selecting what drive to install it into there are no drives and when i click browses there is a x drive called boot and a c drive called esd usb but it wont...
  8. I tried to take ownership of a file much to my mistake which has left my laptop show the...

I tried to take ownership of a file much to my mistake which has left my laptop show the...: I've looked online and it suggested to do a clean installation of windows using bootable media which I tried but when selecting what drive to install it into there are no drives and when i click browses there is a x drive called boot and a c drive called esd usb but it wont...
  9. Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass: Long story short I need to modify starfield.exe with a HEX editor so I can get 32:9 aspect ratio support for Starfield - I've tried everything I can think of to take permissions of the file and everything fails with access denied. I can/have taken ownership of literally every...
  10. Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass

Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass: Long story short I need to modify starfield.exe with a HEX editor so I can get 32:9 aspect ratio support for Starfield - I've tried everything I can think of to take permissions of the file and everything fails with access denied. I can/have taken ownership of literally every...