Windows 10: File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive

Discus and support File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running into an odd file permissions problem. Here's what I did: Purchased new 4 TB SATA drive and installed it in my machine Tried using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike J Kelly, Jan 15, 2020.

1. File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive

I am running into an odd file permissions problem. Here's what I did:

1. Purchased new 4 TB SATA drive and installed it in my machine
    2. Tried using Casper Secure Drive Backup to do a sector copy from the old drive now relabeled M: to the new drive now labelled J: - the same drive letter used previously for my data drive that contains both Dropbox folders along with other stuff. It is bitlockered and Casper is supposed to handle that, but that failed with cryptic errors.
    3. So I fell back on ROBOCOPY:
      1. Bitlocker encrypted the new empty J: 4 TB drive
      2. ROBOcopied the whole contents of M: the old drive with /MOVE which deletes it from the source.
      3. That took about 22 hours, but I just let it run.

Note that prior to this, I had relocated the System Documents and Pictures folder to the Dropbox folder so system Documents is "J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents". This worked fine on the old drive. On the new drive, I'm running into odd file permission errors when I try to write into the special folders. I first encountered this trying to save a picture to the system Pictures relocated to J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Pictures" - it would give me a "file not found" error. Huh? I'mcreating the file. In poking around a bit, I found it also happens in Documents. Here's a simple demonstration just in the command prompt:

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal>cd Documents

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents>echo hi > x
    The system cannot find the file specified.

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents>cd AIT

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT>echo hi > x

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT>cd "AnyCount 3D"

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D>echo hi > x

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D>dir

Volume in drive J is Data2

Volume Serial Number is 1C15-6A9F

Directory of J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D

01/10/2020 12:53 PM <DIR> .

01/10/2020 12:53 PM <DIR> ..

05/03/2019 03:53 PM <DIR> Debug

05/30/2018 11:32 AM <DIR> OCR

01/10/2020 12:53 PM <DIR> Web

0 Files 0 bytes

5 Dirs 2,428,804,755,456 bytes free

J:\Dropbox Tech DNA\Mike Personal\Documents\AIT\AnyCount 3D>

I've checked permissions and they seem reasonable - but it seems like something got corrupted in the Robocopy. I did pass /SECFIX to RoboCopy which is supposed to set security correctly.

Any ideas?

***Original title: Odd File Permissions Problem***

:)

Mike J Kelly, Jan 15, 2020

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jan 15, 2020
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 15, 2020
  4. CraigLong Win User

File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive

Accessing the files while encrypting a drive using Bitlocker

Hi
    L N Ramawat

I have some files encrypted using third party software on my bitlocker protected drive. Once you unlock your bitlocker drive then files encrypted with other software will stay encrypted. That is my experience. But you have to unlock your bitlocker drive
    first otherwise any software that needs access to files on the bitlocker protected drive will not be able to gain access.

CraigLong, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive

1. File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive - Similar Threads - File permission issues

2. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.: G'day,I've made and have been using a batch file to back up my files. I was using xcopy, but I added a new folder which contains directories which are larger than the 254 character limit, so I started using robocopy. The only problem is, robocopy doesn't seem to support...
  3. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.: G'day,I've made and have been using a batch file to back up my files. I was using xcopy, but I added a new folder which contains directories which are larger than the 254 character limit, so I started using robocopy. The only problem is, robocopy doesn't seem to support...
  4. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving an encrypted file

Moving an encrypted file: Hey there. I have a simple question. I have been conducting a decent amount of research but was not able to find an answer to my question, so this is my second to last resort. I have an encrypted folder on my computer which has 2 volumes. My roommates and I share this...
  6. Moving an encrypted file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving an encrypted file: Hey there. I have a simple question. I have been conducting a decent amount of research but was not able to find an answer to my question, so this is my second to last resort. I have an encrypted folder on my computer which has 2 volumes. My roommates and I share this...
  7. Moving an encrypted file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Bitlocker encrypted files, moved drive to another drive and now I can't decryped it.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encrypted files, moved drive to another drive and now I can't decryped it.: I have an encryped drive with only a certain folder that's encryped that I can't seem to find the option to decryped. I have the backup key provided by bitlocker and permisssions to edit and etc....
  9. Cannot delete files, permission/encryption issue

Cannot delete files, permission/encryption issue: I recently installed Phantasy Star Online 2 with Microsoft Store. The application has caused me permission issues for the second time involving this game. The issue both times has begun with when the I execute the game file, nothing happens at all. I approached the...
  10. Accessing the files while encrypting a drive using Bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accessing the files while encrypting a drive using Bitlocker: Hello there, If I'm encrypting a drive using Bitlocker but some folders in the same drive are locked using a third party software Folder Locker Then what the whole drive be encrypted by Bitlocker and will ignore the privileges of that third party software OR what this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can robocopy bitlocked files