Windows 10: file permissions home network

Discus and support file permissions home network in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have 2 computers at home running windows 10, same microsoft login Now when I'm connect to my personal LAN I would like to have both computers being... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ajnstein, Feb 2, 2020.

1. ajnstein Win User

file permissions home network

I have 2 computers at home running windows 10, same microsoft login

Now when I'm connect to my personal LAN I would like to have both computers being able to browse each others files,

so I can use the local network to transfer files both ways

I tried giving all persmissions to every users, for the hard drive, for separate folder etc, both computers

Every sharing option is set to sharing, no password protection

Right now both computers can see each others folders, but only one will have access to the other,

the other way around there's a permission error.

How to fix this?

:)

ajnstein, Feb 2, 2020
  2. Gino Des Win User

Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Feb 2, 2020
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Feb 2, 2020
  4. file permissions home network

Transferring files on network

Hi Bryan,

This could have happened due to advanced sharing settings. To resolve your issue, we suggest that follow the steps on this link:

Share files in File Explorer.

We suggest to follow the steps on this link to set up permission to share the file on a network or sharing files to another computer.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

file permissions home network

1. file permissions home network - Similar Threads - file permissions home

2. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  3. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  4. Home Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network File Sharing: Good day everyone,I have a small 2 computer home P2P network defined. Hardware is 1 Dell XPS 8700, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win10 Pro V 21H1. 2nd Computer is a Dell Inspiron-15-3567, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win 10...
  5. Home Network Access and Permission

Home Network Access and Permission: I justpurchase a Dell Inspiron 6706 Laptop but have problem getting access to othercomputers on my Home network. On thatHome Network I also have a Dell XPX 8930 and a HP Laptop. All three machinesare running on Windows 10 latest version 10.0.1942 Build 1942. The issue:...
  6. no permission to copy files on network

no permission to copy files on network: I have two computers connected to my Network. One of the computer desktop run W10 Pro 1809/64 and connected by Ethernet. The other computer laptop run W10 Home 1803/64 and connected by WiFi. Computers see themselves each other, but attempt of the copying of files from one...
  7. Sharing files on home network

Sharing files on home network: I have 3 computers on my home wireless network all running windows 10. I have done the steps to give access to Everyone but I cannot see the other computers on the network at all - or the folders I have shared. What am I missing?...
  8. Sharing files in home network

Sharing files in home network: The two computers in my home network run on Windows 10. Computer 1 has a printer attached to it. Since upgrade 1803 I cannot share files nor can I use the printer from computer 2. I have followed the instructions to install the home network that I have found on the internet...
  9. Permission to home network

Permission to home network: I created a home network and all PCs are shown in the folder. But I was surprised to see that I don’t have any permission to access the other PCs. How can I get this permission?...
  10. Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing: Hello, I have recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. I know that there is no longer a "homegroup" setting for file sharing. I have set up network discovery and I can access my files on my desktop from my laptop - which is what I want....