Windows 10: file permissions in windows 10

Discus and support file permissions in windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have upgrade my PC to windows 10. The PC has a second hard drive I use for data storage that worked just fine under windows 7. The drive is divided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cbotari, Apr 22, 2020.

1. cbotari Win User

file permissions in windows 10

I have upgrade my PC to windows 10. The PC has a second hard drive I use for data storage that worked just fine under windows 7. The drive is divided into three drives D:, E:, F:.

However now under windows 10 I can not write to some folder and can not view some of the folders. I keep getting the message that I do not have permission.

How can I gain full control over all the files in these three drives. The files are nothing special, just pictures, downloaded files and image backups.

I am the only user and defined as an admin.

:)

cbotari, Apr 22, 2020
  2. cdawall Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

1. file permissions in windows 10 - Similar Threads - file permissions

2. How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?: I recently got a 'you don't have permission to view that' when trying to look at a notepad file I'd downloaded with a game and it made me mad. How can I indefinitely change it so this never happens again? Mind you I've tried quite a many things over the course of 12 or so...
  3. How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?: I recently got a 'you don't have permission to view that' when trying to look at a notepad file I'd downloaded with a game and it made me mad. How can I indefinitely change it so this never happens again? Mind you I've tried quite a many things over the course of 12 or so...
  4. I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission: Hi,i wanted to delete a file but I couldn't because it said that some other program is using it. I have checked and couldn't find any program using it. i have opened properties window and did something there, actually a couple of things which I'm not very clear of, basically...
  5. I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission: Hi,i wanted to delete a file but I couldn't because it said that some other program is using it. I have checked and couldn't find any program using it. i have opened properties window and did something there, actually a couple of things which I'm not very clear of, basically...
  6. I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission

7. Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller: For anyone who gets stuck with not being able to Delete a Folder or File due to an oddball User such as S-1-5 etc, or even TrustedInstaller, here is the process to follow. You will typically come across it when you see a User called S-1-5- xxxx etc. or something similar to...
  8. Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller: For anyone who gets stuck with not being able to Delete a Folder or File due to an oddball User such as S-1-5 etc, or even TrustedInstaller, here is the process to follow. You will typically come across it when you see a User called S-1-5- xxxx etc. or something similar to...
  9. Account Unknown Under File Permissions / also TrustedInstaller

10. I scan a file but not save in default folder in document /My scan, msg show no permission...

I scan a file but not save in default folder in document /My scan, msg show no permission...: Screen shot Attached https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-scan-a-file-but-not-save-in-default-folder-in/0625891b-b953-4668-8ad1-bb235ef997ec